• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment under water!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alcornell1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rhode Island

My boyfriend and I have just moved into our first apartment as of May 1, 2010. The complex has a stream out back and there was recent flooding in the area in April. We previously lived in his parents basement which we were flooded out of.

When viewing this apartment, we specifically asked the agent if there had ever been any floods here. At the time I was 11 weeks pregnant and did not want to have to deal with flooding in another place. The agent SPECIFICALLY said that there was no flooding at all, that all of the flooding had been at the other complex they own. We were sold. We moved in that Saturday.

On top of being told certain things would be fixed before move in, and not actually having been fixed, we just spoke to some of our neighbors who told us that not only did this apartment flood, it was the worst flooding in the building. Additionally, they stated there were construction workers here for approximately 2 weeks following the flood to fix the issues associated with it.

We were told by the agent that the apartment had needed updating because the previous tenant had been in the apartment for a while. Unfortunately we didn't get any of this information in writing. Also, we signed an agreement on the lease that stated we were responsible for obtaining our own flood insurance and they would not be liable. (Flood insurance will not even cover the apartment because we also just found out there are condominiums on the hill above us and there is no retaining wall).

What options do we have? I really do not want to stay here and worry about flooding again. There is forecasted rain for several days in our area and I am afraid.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

atomizer

Anytime you move into a basement apartment, the possibility of flooding is there.
I doubt the workers sat around for two weeks. Get renters insurance and don't let your paranoia get to you.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rhode Island

My boyfriend and I have just moved into our first apartment as of May 1, 2010. The complex has a stream out back and there was recent flooding in the area in April. We previously lived in his parents basement which we were flooded out of.

When viewing this apartment, we specifically asked the agent if there had ever been any floods here. At the time I was 11 weeks pregnant and did not want to have to deal with flooding in another place. The agent SPECIFICALLY said that there was no flooding at all, that all of the flooding had been at the other complex they own. We were sold. We moved in that Saturday.

On top of being told certain things would be fixed before move in, and not actually having been fixed, we just spoke to some of our neighbors who told us that not only did this apartment flood, it was the worst flooding in the building. Additionally, they stated there were construction workers here for approximately 2 weeks following the flood to fix the issues associated with it.

We were told by the agent that the apartment had needed updating because the previous tenant had been in the apartment for a while. Unfortunately we didn't get any of this information in writing. Also, we signed an agreement on the lease that stated we were responsible for obtaining our own flood insurance and they would not be liable. (Flood insurance will not even cover the apartment because we also just found out there are condominiums on the hill above us and there is no retaining wall).

What options do we have? I really do not want to stay here and worry about flooding again. There is forecasted rain for several days in our area and I am afraid.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: next time interview the neighbors BEFORE signing a lease.

nextwife

A basement is not an inside out swimming pool, virtually any basement CAN flood, given the right circumstances. If you want more certainty, rent a second floor apartment.

HomeGuru

A basement is not an inside out swimming pool, virtually any basement CAN flood, given the right circumstances. If you want more certainty, rent a second floor apartment.
**A: I was visiting a friend in San Fran and his second floor apartment was still a basement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">