• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment uninhabitable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ofromva

Virginia:
I signed a lease for an apt. before I saw it. When I entered, the apartment was completely filthy and unsanitary with numerous damages. I took pictures, and certified mailed a self-generated Move-In inspection to the landlord (he did not provide one). I then certified mailed a notice of his noncompliance with the VRLTA for the conditions of windows, carpeting, and flooring which disallowed me to move in. As the 21 day deadline for the landlord to remedy the damages neared, I got city Code Enforcement to inspect. They noted several violations. I had prepaid March's rent, and never moved in due to my health and safety concerns. It has now been 30 days since I signed the lease. The repairs have still not been made in full in order to make the apartment livable. The landlord refuses to give back the money from March. Do I have legal options? What are my chances of winning my money back and all other financial damages incurred?

Last edited:

ENASNI

What are my chances of winning my money back and all other financial damages incurred?
The FA crystal ball is still not back from the repair shop, I slipped and fell on the way out of the place when I was picking it up. I can't even ask it if I am getting any money from my slip and fall.

However, you really got all your duckies in a row there pardner. If you chose to take this to small claims court it sounds like you have a heck of a lot of proof against the landlord.

You have the burden of proof on your shoulders if you take this in.

Good luck.

Use your favorite search engine and do your research.

BL

Weird , usually walk through inspections are done by both Parties . I'm not even going to go look up VA. LL/tenant Law , but it would surprise me if a LL is required to give a Tenant a copy of the LL's own walk through insp. in this way ???

Anyway , as a prior poster stated , " IF " you can prove to the Court , major issues exist /existed , you should have a cause of action for monetary damages .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">