• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appearance in court for late rent payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mrbdjohn

I live in Virginia. I was sent a notice by mail that I had 5 days to pay my rent that was 2 1/2 weeks late. I told the landlord that I didn't get paid till the 5th day, and at that time they would get their rent along with the late fee. On the 5th day I paid. 2 days later I received a notice in the mail from their lawyer stating that I had to appear in court for this problem. The rent has been paid. I owe them no other late fees. And I am not behind for any other months. Do I still need to go to court over this? The notice is dated the day before I wrote the rent check. However I did not receive it until 2 days after I paid my rent. Where do I stand?

[Edited by mrbdjohn on 04-22-2001 at 05:08 PM]

M

mary hartman

YOU had better be in court to defend yourself with your reciepts....

or else the landlord wins by default, and you will be evicted...that is your rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">