• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appliance Damaged by Tenant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cardiff92007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My tenant's washer broke due to coins and a pen (the ink holder/tip of pen) that got into the drain pump and destoyed the impeller thus I had to replace the drain pump. These machines (washer and dryer) were put in brand new probably within the year she moved in. They are now aprox. 4 years old.
Who's liable. I think she is since she left the coins and pen in her clothes. Isn't that negligence? :confused:

BL

Usually applances provided for by the landlord , are the Landlord's responsibility to maintaian , Unless the damage is caused by the tenant .Then the tenant pays for repair , or if the tenant choses not to repair those cost on move out can be deducted from the sec. deposit .

On a side note , if the LL and tenant otherwise have a good relationship and the tenant could not afford the repair right now , you two could work something out in writing for you to repair and the tenant pay a little extra each month until paid for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">