• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appliance owed by landlord malfunctioned and resulted in high utility bill for tenant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Apenney

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

A person moves into an apartment that is furnished with appliances, the utilities are the tenants responsibility. The tenant was out of town for about a week within the first/second month of living in his new apartment and when he returned home he finds that the stove malfunctioned and the gas was on the entire time he was gone, resulting in a bill that was ten times his would-be normal bill. The tenant informed the property manager, who then sent maintenance to fix the stove. The maintenance person ends up admitting that the previous tenant had similar/same problem.

Tenant wants to know if there is any way that the landlord can be held responsible for the utility bill?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

A person moves into an apartment that is furnished with appliances, the utilities are the tenants responsibility. The tenant was out of town for about a week within the first/second month of living in his new apartment and when he returned home he finds that the stove malfunctioned and the gas was on the entire time he was gone, resulting in a bill that was ten times his would-be normal bill. The tenant informed the property manager, who then sent maintenance to fix the stove. The maintenance person ends up admitting that the previous tenant had similar/same problem.

Tenant wants to know if there is any way that the landlord can be held responsible for the utility bill?
One could start with communication/negotiation.

Zigner

He intends to do that initially. I just wanted to know if, legally, the landlord was responsible for some or all of the cost incurred.
Let him do that first so that we don't all waste our time with an irrelevant question. If he has further legal questions, please ask him to log on here and ask his own questions.

xylene

It is possible to negotiate MUCh better from a position of strength.

Giving away something on a compromise you don't actually need to make...

A defective gas stove is the landlord's fault and so is the loss incurred. :rolleyes:

I would contact the Gas Company. They might actually help make a stink about the unsafe connected appliance - (that being something they hate)

Zigner

A defective gas stove is the landlord's fault and so is the loss incurred. :rolleyes:

I would contact the Gas Company. They might actually help make a stink about the unsafe connected appliance - (that being something they hate)

My point is that it's entirely possible that the LL is willing to make the tenant whole in this situation. It might be a matter of spreading it out over a few months, but if the negotiations come to that, then everyone is happy.

Apenney

Let him do that first so that we don't all waste our time with an irrelevant question. If he has further legal questions, please ask him to log on here and ask his own questions.
I'm his housing case manager and one of my responsibilities is to advocate on his behalf when necessary. If he had a computer, computer skills, and an internet connection I would certainly encourage him to be self-sufficient and seek out additional information regarding his quandary, but alas, he does not have any of the aforementioned.

My apologies for having wasted your time, if that is what I have done.

Apenney

Thank you for your input. It is sincerely appreciated.

Zigner

I'm his housing case manager and one of my responsibilities is to advocate on his behalf when necessary. If he had a computer, computer skills, and an internet connection I would certainly encourage him to be self-sufficient and seek out additional information regarding his quandary, but alas, he does not have any of the aforementioned.

My apologies for having wasted your time, if that is what I have done.
Then it is fair enough that you attempt to assist. The simple fact remains that, if the tenant hasn't even asked, then you're jumping the gun a bit.

ETA: Please don't take this as disagreeing with xylene - I don't. I think he makes excellent points. I'm a fan of open communications, but that doesn't mean I disagree with the points he made.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">