• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Applying for apt for someone else

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drewdac

California

Hello I was contemplating if I should apply for an apartment under my name and let a sibling (who has been in forclosure and cant get an apartment because of her credit.) live there. Besides any monetary issues that would happen if she didnt pay, is there any legal issues that I should be afraid\aware of. What can i do she is fricken homeless with kids.

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

OHRoadwarrior

You are on the hook for everything basically that happens there. Hypothetically...When her kids trash the appliances and her "new" boyfriend pounds holes in the walls, you will be responsible to pay for all damage and remaining rent, when she moves with him to his house.:mad:

Gail in Georgia

Are you planning on telling management/the landlord your plans to do this?

Most leases specify who can live there; if your sister isn't on the lease and isn't considered a guest, this is a breach of lease.

If someone attempted to sneak a relative/friend in this way, I'd be filing for an eviction on them in a heartbeat.

Far better (although you'll still be up the creek financially if she fails to pay rent or does significant damage) is to allow her to apply and you agree to be a co-signer.

Gail

CSO286

Leases generally indicate who/what will be residing there. EX: Mine states CSO, LittleCSO, and one small dog.

Bet my LL would be real upset to find other folks living there**************.So upset that I violated my lease that I could find myself being evicted.....

Last edited:

drewdac

Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I kinda had an idea of possible eviction, and financial troubles. but anything illegal that can get me in trouble with the law?

Last edited:

LdiJ

Thanks for your replies. I kinda had an idea of possible eviction, and financial troubles. but anything legal that can get me in trouble with the law?
You mean criminally in trouble with the law? No. It would be a contract violation therefore a civil matter, not a criminal one.

drewdac

Thank you

thanks all...need to think long and hard for this..but will be probably going to go through it.

Banned_Princess

thanks all...need to think long and hard for this..but will be probably going to go through it.
Don't try to hide whoever is going to live there.

tell leasing that your sister and kids will be staying there.

you might just want to cosign. you will have the same consequences.

davew128

You mean criminally in trouble with the law? No. It would be a contract violation therefore a civil matter, not a criminal one.
However lest we downplay the significance of that, if an eviction has to go through the courts, that does appear for any future landlord who checks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">