• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

apt mgr threatening to tow cars if not moved for snow plow

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SLIDERS19

apt mgr threatening to tow our cars from our parking lot if not moved for snow plow

wisconsin

at the start of winter our apt mgr gave everyone a notice saying when we get 2 or more inches of snow, we must move our cars out of our parking spaces from 10am to 4pm for the snow plow and if we dont he will have our cars ticketed and towed. Is this legal? Can he actually do this? we are paying for the parking spaces and besides, the plow only has to make a pathway behind our cars so we can get out. what gives him the right to tell us when we can and when we cant park in our spaces?

Last edited:

kornball

In all seriousness, how hard is it to move your car between 10am to 4pm if you happen to have the day off ... ? I could maybe see letting it slide if you worked grave yard and work something out with the LL but if you work days what would it matter orif you were home how hard is it to move the car for 5 min while they plow?

SLIDERS19

Not true. Snow removal should be done from as much pavement as possible to remove the risks of freeze/thaw damage.
i understand that, but we have alot of elderly people in the building too, and telling them they cant park in their space between 10am and 4 pm doesnt work well for them. it just doesnt seem right since we are paying for those spots that they still can say when we can park there and when we cant

kornball

I instruct my plow guy to block in tenants who refuse to move their vehicles. They can go shovel themselves out.
That is a perfectly fair solution to the problem. If they don't want to move, they can shovel especially if they can see or hear the truck. I rent a floor of a house and I hear my plow guy plowing and am outside within 5 minutes to move my car for him to make his life easier and save me from the snow and ice build up.

SLIDERS19: A couple of questions?

Can you see or hear the plow guy when he is coming?

Between 10AM and 4PM is alternative parking provided via another lot or is one "lot" exempt from this so you can still park at your place and move it back to "your spot" after the plow guy has cleared it out?

If you are not elderly and hear / see him scraping the driveway what prevents you from moving your car as he is plowing? Don't you want the snow to be pushed aside?

SLIDERS19

That is a perfectly fair solution to the problem. If they don't want to move, they can shovel especially if they can see or hear the truck. I rent a floor of a house and I hear my plow guy plowing and am outside within 5 minutes to move my car for him to make his life easier and save me from the snow and ice build up.

SLIDERS19: A couple of questions?

Can you see or hear the plow guy when he is coming?

Between 10AM and 4PM is alternative parking provided via another lot or is one "lot" exempt from this so you can still park at your place and move it back to "your spot" after the plow guy has cleared it out?

If you are not elderly and hear / see him scraping the driveway what prevents you from moving your car as he is plowing? Don't you want the snow to be pushed aside?
no, we cant see or hear the plow when it comes and when we move them, its to a parking area a block away, bus stop infront of our apts so cant park there

You Are Guilty

I instruct my plow guy to block in tenants who refuse to move their vehicles. They can go shovel themselves out.
While on a personal level, I like that idea, it does invite an increased risk of some moron slipping and on the mound, or giving themselves a heart attach during the "shovel out"...

(My point being more to not talk about it than to stop doing it :D)

Cvillecpm

Slide - if you are SO concerned about elderly people, who don't YOU offer to MOVE one of their cars when snow is anticipated.

This is NOT rocket science and is THE WAY IT IS when snow is anticipated and parking lot must be plowed OTHERWISE, the snow is piled up 4 feet deep BEHIND YOUR CAR!!

kornball

no, we cant see or hear the plow when it comes and when we move them, its to a parking area a block away, bus stop infront of our apts so cant park there
I don't know what to say then. He gave you written notice, and provides alternative parking on those days.

Not a bad walk but not an enjoyable task ..

How far do you park away from your building normally then? Is it a house, complex, etc?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">