• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arkansas Tenant Late Fees Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Redimus13

Arkansas

Is it legal for the monthly rental payment of an apartment to be allocated for late fees instead of rent?
My apartment is $635, due by the 3rd of every month. I paid a day late, on the 4th and received a late payment fee of $75. My apartment manager told me that part of my $635 rental payment was used to satisfy the late fee and I still have a balance of $75 for rent and if I cannot pay that by the 15th of the month, there will be another $75 late fee, resulting in $150 that I would have to have paid by the time my next month's rent is due or I will continue to have a negative balance and more late fees.

Thanks!

FarmerJ

Yes landlords can deduct late fees first and considering how landlord friendly your state is Id suggest you borrow the money from friends or relatives if you don't have the 75 and get it paid ASAP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">