• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asked To Leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JohnnyMac

Hello,
I reside in Nassau County, NY 11003.
I was asked to leave by my landlord and he told me
at the end of May that he wanted me out Aug 1st because he plans to move into the house I occupy now. There is another tenant downstairs whom he is allowing to stay till sept 1st. I have found a place that I like but it's not available till
sept 1st. He doesn't care and wants me out anyhow. I plan on staying till sept and just letting him take legal action.
By the time the legal action is initiated I will be out anyhow. I have lived here for 8 1/2 yrs, it is an illegal 2 family house and I'm in the illegal part. I want to know my rights since I was asked to leave and if he has to pay realitors fees for my moving, or
cover any other expense for that matter. a And also what I should bo if he tries to evict me physically himself.
Thank you in advance.
Eric

J

jlw1000

The landlord gave you 60 days notice, which is the maximum required. I know when I rented from an apartment complex they were upset when I told them I was not renewing my lease for a the upcoming year (I had bought a house). I asked if I could just rent for an additional 2 months until my house was ready. They refused, even though my rent was always paid on time & I was an excellant tenant. I had to pack my things, put them in storage & rent a room from a family member until my house was ready (almost 3 months later). It was a pain, but it was the perfect and least problematic solution.

First of all, life is too short for such misery. Secondly, if the landlord takes legal action you can be held liable for quite a bit. Not only for rent for the apartment during that month, but for any costs the landlord incurs. This can mar your credit, and cause problems for you for years to come. Creditors (if they even loan you money) will use poor credit as an excuse to raise your interest rates-very costly. Plus, you never know what life will bring you. You may find your dream house, and lose out on it because your credit has been wrecked. I know you are unhappy about having to move, but try to set emotions aside and think about what is best for you.

Also, you have lived there for 8 1/2 years. I will assume you were happy & that your landlord was relatively decent, since you were there for quite some time. To now claim that this is an illegal use of the property is a little mean spirited. Especially since it is apparent from your post that you were planning on staying. So basically you did not mind him breaking the rules as long as it benefitted you, but now you want to hold it against him.

Putting your stuff in storage & moving in with a friend or relative for a month is an inconveinance, but with all you go through in life it is a minor one. Maybe you can approach the landlord (pleasantly) and ask if he is willing to defray some of your costs so you can be out by the time he requests.

J

jlw1000

Oops! I forgot one very basic thing. What does your lease state? If you have a lease that extends past the September 1st, you can stay. Be careful though, if it goes to say December the landlord may hold you to the whole lease if you tick him off. If you do not have a lease, refer to my previous solution (I was assuming you did not).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">