• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

audio recording

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kansasagent

What is the name of your state? kansas

i am a manager for elderly / disabled HUD subsidized housing. a resident had put out a petition against myself and maintenance, presenting it for signatures to other residents. i requested a copy of the petition to clear any complaints. i was denied. i asked what the grievances were . wouldn't tell me . i had to do an inspection on the apartment of the resident that started the petition. i took a recorder with me and informed him that during the inspection i would have it on for the protection of him and myself due to the petition. what is wrong with that?

JETX

"what is wrong with that?"
*** In itself nothing.

Kan. Stat. Ann. § 21-4001: Unlawful eavesdropping consists of secretly listening to, recording, or amplifying private conversations or using any device to intercept a telephone or wire communication "without the consent of the person in possession or control of the facilities for such wire communication." Violations are misdemeanors. A criminal breach of privacy, punishable as a misdemeanor as well, occurs when any means of private communication is intercepted without the consent of the sender or receiver. Divulging the existence or contents of any type of private communication, whether carried out by telephone or even letter, is also a misdemeanor if the person knows the message was intercepted illegally. Kan. Stat. Ann. § 21-4002. The state's highest court has interpreted the eavesdropping and privacy statutes to sanction one-party consent for taping of conversations and in interpreting both statutes stated: "In other words, any party to a private conversation may waive the right to privacy and the non-consenting party has no Fourth Amendment or statutory right to challenge the waiver." Kansas v. Roudybush, 686 P.2d 100 (Kan. 1984).

B

badtenant

Has it ever occured to you kansasagent, they might be right, and you really are a horrible manager?

I believe in discussing both sides of the issue.

JETX

Ignore 'badtenant'. He is a forum troll who can't help but show his ignorance on the forum.

K

kansasagent

Consider Him Ignored!
I have enough of "badtenant" , I don't need another one!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">