• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Aunt is taking me to small claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Grandprixgxp06

Hello I lived in my aunts house for maybe 4-5 months with no written lease. I moved in quickly before the house was done due to my apartment lease ending. Well once we moved in the house was never completely finished. There was original lead paint that was never finished being scraped off door moldings, electrical sockets were not covered, hole that was not patched in kitchen from old chimney, my daughters room had a hole in the ceiling from the ceiling fan/light not being hooked back up and the up stairs was completely useless because she never finished the drywall and left all kinds of tools and other equipment on the stairs and always she never replaced the a/c which she promised she would. Needless to say we left because it got so hot in the house my child was getting heat rash. All I have is pictures. It's been over a year since I left and she's been over there fixing everything. Now she's taking me to small claims for 1900 do I have a shot at winning. I would post the pictures but I cant because I'm on my phone

Gail in Georgia

1. What state did this occur in?

2. Were you supposed to pay your Aunt rent and left without doing so?

3. Did you give your Aunt proper notice you were leaving or did you simply take off?

Gail

Grandprixgxp06

It happened in the state of Ohio.
I was there for 2 months and paid her for 2 months
I told her 3 weeks prior to moving out that she need to come fix the house or I'm leaving

Grandprixgxp06

I take it back I lived there from the middle of March to the end of May. I paid her twice she didn't make me pay for the most things of March. Her statement is I owe her $725 which she was making me pay for homeowners insurance which was included in that price on top of my renters. Plus a 25 later fee for rent. A 108 dollar water bill and 200 for cleaning of property. But I wish I could really post pictures of the house. And somehow she wants me to pay 1981

FarmerJ

if you have to email those pics or use a cord to get those pics to a desk top and get them printed let her take you to court and prove her claim, AS far as the notice you gave her you were a month to month renter so she was entitled to proper notice from you that you were moving out. As to water bill did you agree to pay water & sewer ? Late fee , with out a written lease then it goes back to , did you agree to pay a late fee or not ? her insurance , is hers to pay unless the written lease she has says other wise so again did you agree to pay her ins bills ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">