• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AZ - abandoned property advice, 'tenant' left behind

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gregemm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

Short version of the story is - We were trying to rent out a room in our house, and a friend needed a place for the summer. Verbally agreed she was going to pay what we were asking and she moved in. Was getting reestablished, money was tight and between jobs, so didn't require something up front. But, agreeing that we would both help out, cheaper place for her, extra money for us. It was several months before she was working again, and we finally got a little bit from her. (Basically 1/3rd what we agreed on per month) We did end up getting a little bit more towards the end as well. She did contribute to food occasionally but far from 'her share' of the food/drinks etc... Was supposed to be moving out on a certain date as we had other people moving in, ended up changing rooms staying longer, and htis is when it got stressful. We were given 2 move out dates, both passed. She claimed everyone asked her to stay. Nobody had. We found out about instances of abuse (verbal, physical) towards our pets, instances of her being seen leaving our room while we were at work etc. When asked about it, it became a huge argument, serious threats were made against my fiancee and she advised she was leaving the next day. (threats were reported to the police) She packed some of her stuff and is staying at a hotel.

We are not even thinking about the unpaid rent from our verbal agreement, right now we are merely concerned with the property she has left behind. The property from the room she was in was moved to the garage where she had some stuff stored. Approximately half of a two car garage. Additionally, there are some belongings in the house still. (Bed, table, bookshelf etc.) As of earlier this week it was agreed that she was picking up everything this Saturday. What can I do if it is not picked up? I know in a typical 'tenant' situation there is a 10 day period, followed by notification, then another wait and the property can be sold and proceeds to to her after rent taken out.. Anything else I can do? Should do?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I know in a typical 'tenant' situation there is a 10 day period, followed by notification, then another wait and the property can be sold and proceeds to to her after rent taken out..
Why would this be anything different than a "typical" tenant situation?

Who's Liable?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

Short version of the story is - We were trying to rent out a room in our house, and a friend needed a place for the summer. Verbally agreed she was going to pay what we were asking and she moved in. Was getting reestablished, money was tight and between jobs, so didn't require something up front. But, agreeing that we would both help out, cheaper place for her, extra money for us. It was several months before she was working again, and we finally got a little bit from her. (Basically 1/3rd what we agreed on per month) We did end up getting a little bit more towards the end as well. She did contribute to food occasionally but far from 'her share' of the food/drinks etc... Was supposed to be moving out on a certain date as we had other people moving in, ended up changing rooms staying longer, and htis is when it got stressful. We were given 2 move out dates, both passed. She claimed everyone asked her to stay. Nobody had. We found out about instances of abuse (verbal, physical) towards our pets, instances of her being seen leaving our room while we were at work etc. When asked about it, it became a huge argument, serious threats were made against my fiancee and she advised she was leaving the next day. (threats were reported to the police) She packed some of her stuff and is staying at a hotel.

We are not even thinking about the unpaid rent from our verbal agreement, right now we are merely concerned with the property she has left behind. The property from the room she was in was moved to the garage where she had some stuff stored. Approximately half of a two car garage. Additionally, there are some belongings in the house still. (Bed, table, bookshelf etc.) As of earlier this week it was agreed that she was picking up everything this Saturday. What can I do if it is not picked up? I know in a typical 'tenant' situation there is a 10 day period, followed by notification, then another wait and the property can be sold and proceeds to to her after rent taken out.. Anything else I can do? Should do?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
A ten day notification is only required if the tenant is a weekly renter, ie: they pay rent every week rather than monthly.

At this point tenant could say you never gave proper notice to vacate and it was an illegal eviction. It doesn't matter that they left on their own, neither party gave proper notice to vacate.

Send a letter CRR to their last known address stating they have 30 days to retrieve their items or you will dispose of thrm as you see fit. At the end of 30 days dispose of said items. If their last known address is your house, send it there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">