• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bad address provided for rent payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tthibodo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My lease provided a bad address for rent payments, am I responsible for being late if I mailed payments to the invalid address provided on the lease?

My lease requires that I pay the rent to a specific address. I can pay in person, but I elected to have payments mailed automatically from my bank.
Our apartments are 1 1/2yrs new and the address of the office was never registered with the US Postal Service. There is no mail box for a postal worker to deliver mail to, though the mail man has been delivering to the office personally when someone is there.
I just found all this out after being delivered a 3-day pay or quit notice. Apparently, my rent has been late 4 times in the last 7 months and the manager was fed up. But the rent is pulled from my account every month on the 26th and they never told me it was late before now.
Only after doing research did I find out that the address was not valid. When I alerted the manager, they said it was not their responsibility to provide a valid address.
Can they provide an invalid address for rent payments to be made and hold me responsible if they do not receive them on time?
I provided proof that the payments were mailed well in advance, but the manager doesn't care.

FarmerJ

Unless your lease says you cannot mail your rent in then like it or not this manager would look like a fool in court trying to explain them selfs in court as to why the rent should be considered late. I suggest from now on you pay your rent via certificate of mailing or certified mail then also If your going to make them take you to court then you want to reply to the court you do not owe late fees and use every thing you have to show that you don't including any thing you can get in writing from the post office showing that there is a problem with the address you were given and you want to bring your lease copy in with you to court and let the court see it if it shows the address which would be the address to use for any issue between this landlord and you .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">