• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bad living conditions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ralphnsuzanne

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

The kitchen, living room and bathroom have been leaking due to bad roof we live on the last floor of the building the kitchen tiles have come down the living room sheetrock ceiling has come down next is the bathroom these conditions have been like this since December of last year the landlord knows of this since till today it is still leaking and a very bad strong odor of mold is present he has one maintenance guy that has been trying to fix it but with no success I have a 1 month year old baby that cannot live in these conditions every time it rains or snows it comes pouring down out of the 3 locations Black mold is present I have told the building inspector and filed a complaint and he has done nothing but turn the other way we need help on what we can do with these inlivable conditions we have lost several items due to the leakage please help and let us know what we can do my daughter will or is suffering due to the mold

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

The kitchen, living room and bathroom have been leaking due to bad roof we live on the last floor of the building the kitchen tiles have come down the living room sheetrock ceiling has come down next is the bathroom these conditions have been like this since December of last year the landlord knows of this since till today it is still leaking and a very bad strong odor of mold is present he has one maintenance guy that has been trying to fix it but with no success I have a 1 month year old baby that cannot live in these conditions every time it rains or snows it comes pouring down out of the 3 locations Black mold is present I have told the building inspector and filed a complaint and he has done nothing but turn the other way we need help on what we can do with these inlivable conditions we have lost several items due to the leakage please help and let us know what we can do my daughter will or is suffering due to the mold
How much time has the inspector gave the LL to repairs ?

Obtain a copy of the inspectors report.

If the LL requested more time ,the inspector should be able to tell you , or perhaps the office personnel can.

Keep in contact with the inspector .

If the LL does not repair timely he can be fined . If he'd rather be fined then you should be able to vacate and perhaps be compensated for rent reduction through the court.

Be a squeaky wheel with the inspectors office and keep up to date on what's going on .

Does the LL have other units he can move you to ?

FarmerJ

You said >I have told the building inspector and filed a complaint and he has done nothing but turn the other way< write your mayor a certified letter and ask to know why repairs were not ordered.

BL

You said >I have told the building inspector and filed a complaint and he has done nothing but turn the other way< write your mayor a certified letter and ask to know why repairs were not ordered.
Oh I just took it the poster was saying the LL just turns the other way.

If so , I stand by my advice .

On the other hand if the poster is saying the inspector is turning the other way , this may get frustrating .

I've been that route before.

Until I really raised cane over a period of time ,and eventually got another inspector to come and inspect.The later one put her foot down on the LL and eventually they sold their properties.

If it's a case of this particular zone inspector turning a blind eye, I'd be tempted to call the media,especially if the poster location has an investigative team.

Inspectors do have supervisors ,also.

I'd quit calling and go directly to their office.

The mayors office was of no help but to call Family in Crises and for them to tell me I complain too much .:rolleyes:

Gail in Georgia

New York city or New York state? (Some of the options are a bit different between the two).

Assuming New York State; the attached describes your options:

Landlord Won't Make Repairs | Legal Assistance of Western Ne

Gail

P.S. Before you start claiming black mold, remember that there are many, many (literally thousands) of strains of mold and unless specific testing by a qualified person has been undertaken you do not know if this is black mold. However, the issue of a leaking roof should certainly be taken care of by the landlord.

FarmerJ

Going to elected officials is not a bad choice since they know that if they do not assist with a valid issue they risk the party requesting assistance going to local consumers affairs like a tv station that has one and asking for assistance which means the story will be put on the air if they do not act further embarressing them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">