• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

barring a person from my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

palandlord

PA here.

I have a tenant who has had a boyfriend living with her on and off for a few years. He landed in jail for roughing her up. What I want to know is what kind of document do I need to issue this person to bar him from the property. She is about to get a new lease that will specifically state who the rental unit is rented to but I want to issue him a letter barring him from the property and the consequences there after. Do i need something from a district justice, etc...

ecmst12

You can tell her (in writing of course) that he is barred from the property and call the police if he trespasses. No idea how far that will get you though. While you can prevent him from living there, she does have the right to have the guests that she chooses to have in HER apartment, that's part of quiet enjoyment. I understand you want to look out for her but if she doesn't want to look out for herself, you can't do it for her. If he's caused damage to your property, that MIGHT give you the right, but even then, it's her living space that she pays rent for. If she doesn't want to dump him, you might want to consider non-renewing her lease, because they're going to be a package deal like it or not.

Alaska landlord

Do not renew the lease. Have her sign a month to month contract and a waiver of notice.
She let's him move in and you go straight to court and file for eviction. No 30 day notice required.

I you don't want him there at all, then terminate the lease. Some women never learn and go right back into the relationship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">