• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bed bug Treatment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bharat304

I need help. This is regarding who needs to pay for the bedbug treatment.

I moved to this new apartment in March 2011. In July 2011 we noticed bedbugs coming out of one of the socket in the master bedroom. We immediately notified the lease office and they had some inspection done and confirmed that the apartment has been infected by bedbugs. So they told that they need to inspect the neighbors too and they told that one below our apartment they have seen some bedbug "active" but not as much in our apartment. So the lease office told that the both the apartments need treatment and should be done 3 times with the 3rd time if necessary. I did not say anything that I will pay but will discuss and let them know and they have scheduled the treatment. Finally when the treatment is done only two times as they did not see any thing for the 3 rd time, they gave me the bill for " two treatments for my apartment" and " one treatment for the below neighbor". My questions are:

1) Am I responsible for the cost of the treatment as when I moved in I did not have this issue
2) The leasing office is asking me to pay the treatment done for the below neighbor as they found more bedbugs in mine than in neighbors

please help me.

Thanks
BharatWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Banned_Princess

I need help. This is regarding who needs to pay for the bedbug treatment.

I moved to this new apartment in March 2011. In July 2011 we noticed bedbugs coming out of one of the socket in the master bedroom. We immediately notified the lease office and they had some inspection done and confirmed that the apartment has been infected by bedbugs. So they told that they need to inspect the neighbors too and they told that one below our apartment they have seen some bedbug "active" but not as much in our apartment. So the lease office told that the both the apartments need treatment and should be done 3 times with the 3rd time if necessary. I did not say anything that I will pay but will discuss and let them know and they have scheduled the treatment. Finally when the treatment is done only two times as they did not see any thing for the 3 rd time, they gave me the bill for " two treatments for my apartment" and " one treatment for the below neighbor". My questions are:

1) Am I responsible for the cost of the treatment as when I moved in I did not have this issue
2) The leasing office is asking me to pay the treatment done for the below neighbor as they found more bedbugs in mine than in neighbors

please help me.

Thanks
BharatWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

you forgot something. :rolleyes: <- no smirk, just rolleyes.

Searchertwin

You answered your own question. You stated, "I moved to this new apartment in March 2011. In July 2011 we noticed bedbugs coming out of one of the socket in the master bedroom." The place did not have bedbugs till the month of July. About five months has passed and now bedbugs. Someone had to bring them there. They did not appear out of the air. So you would be the guilty party since you occupy the place. LL did not bring them in, so why should he pay? Just because place is his does not mean he has to pay unless he brought them in and lives there.

The leasing office is asking me to pay the treatment done for the below neighbor as they found more bedbugs in mine than in neighbors
No, you tell LL that you will split the bill with the other tenants. No one can count bedbugs and say one has more than the other. Tell them you recounted. :D
Send him a crr letter to that effect along with half the bill.

treese

Honestly ... we need to know what state you reside in ...

In some states, the landlord cannot charge the tenant for a bedbug infestation.

Searchertwin

Honestly ... we need to know what state you reside in ...
Honestly, why would that matter, do you plan on moving?

In this case, this tenant pays. He stated, "I moved to this new apartment in March 2011. In July 2011 we noticed bedbugs." They lived there 5 months without and now infested? It wasn't me that brought them in. This makes it different.
But I have houses, not units, this makes a difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">