• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bed bugs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stewbeef

What is the name of your state? Texas

We just recently moved from california to Texas We rented a house here in san antonio tx and as we filled out our paperwork for things wrong with the house we noticed a bug on the wall in the hallway we just ignored it as we are used to seeing weird bugs when we move into places It looked like a tick and after we determined it was not then we relaxed we just assumed it was some weird bug around here like an earwig was in california After we started unpacking we were seeing more of them on the walls and on baseboards we finally got internet and one night after seeing one climbing up my couch i decided to see what these things were I was shocked to discover they were bed bugs We started seeing more and killing them and keeping them to show landlords exterminators We called our landlords and they sent there exterminators they work with They investigated and pretty much declared they were already here because they were not in our beds or anything yet So they came and sprayed and i my family came to visit and we discovered more in a room that we had never even seen any in I have taken pictures of where i killed them because they were full of blood and left stains which means they had fed on someone The ones we were seeing before had not This is causing me stress I cannot eat or sleep I m constantly walking around my house checking for them and i even leave the lights on at night which is going to cost us on the electric bill i have had to rewash everything and dry it which again will costs us in electric and water The exterminators came again and sprayed after i called and said i was seeing more But they do not know much about bedbugs as they did not spray the attic or garage like i had asked and they just said give it a week Now i know it takes several treatments but they are telling me to wait months By that time they can really get bad I found one crawling on my hallway floor last night after they sprayed I have only found 2 dead since they sprayed but most are still alive We are fixing to talk to our landlords about maybe getting exterminators who know what they are doing but if they make us pay we cannot afford that WE have already paid so much just to move here I know bedbugs can get into everything and even if we move we risk taking them with us I cannot live like this anymore I have a 4 year old son to worry about We have never heard of or dealt with this before What is the law about bedbugs Is it the landlords responsibility to get rid of them the only thing in our lease i see that might cause a problem is saying we took this house as is and that we are to pay periodic preventative or additional exetermination costs But it does say they have to pay for a condition that adversely affects the health or safety of an ordinary tenant which is not caused by tenant an occupant a member of the tenants family and or guest Now the exterminator says they do not pose a health risks but i believe differently with what i am going through I just want to know everything before we have a talk with our landlords so they cannot pull anything over our heads Now if we are really responsible then of course we will accept that but i think its there responsibilty since they were already here before we moved and i have a friend who helped me move in and saw one before our stuff was even in here too So i m pretty much wanting to know whose responsibilty it is to further take care of this problem? I feel these bugs have to be taken care of aggressively and noone seems to want to do that Hope you can help!

Cvillecpm

What you describe are not "bed bugs"...."bed bugs" are almost microscopic so seeing one on the wall would be impossible.

You are now seeing DEAD BUGS....that's a good thing.

What you describe are not "bed bugs"...."bed bugs" are almost microscopic so seeing one on the wall would be impossible.

You are now seeing DEAD BUGS....that's a good thing.
Sorry dude, you're wrong on this issue ... as taken from Wikipedia about the bedbugs.

Adult bedbugs are reddish brown, flattened, oval, and wingless, with microscopic hairs that give them a banded appearance. A common misconception is that they are not visible to the naked eye, but adults grow to 4 to 5 mm (one-eighth to three-sixteenths of an inch) in length and do not move quickly enough to escape the notice of an attentive observer. Newly hatched nymphs are translucent and lighter in color and continue to become browner and molt as they reach maturity. When it comes to size, they are often compared to lentils or appleseeds.

Wikipedia has a LOT of good information about the bedbugs - it talks about living with them, and how to get rid of them.

If the exterminator your landlord is working with doesn't know how to deal with the bedbugs, you need to talk to your landlord about finding a company that CAN help get rid of the problem.

--Dave.

nextwife

And just an FYI:

The bedbugs may have nothing to do with the LL. Bedbugs are back due to how mobile our society is today. You, yourself, could have inadvertantly brought bedbugs back with you from a stay somewhere, or someone else in your building or apartment may have.

moburkes

Oh, the grammar police. I thought you wanted a bunch of . . . . . . . . . . cause they looked like bedbugs!!! :p
You callin' me the grammar po-po? I coudn't even read the damn thing because there was no order, no periods, no white spaces. Heck, I shouldn't need a new pair of glasses just so I can read FA every day!:D

stewbeef

sorry

there should have been periods but i just copied and pasted from somewhere else. But still that wasn't my concern. I realize that the landlords did not plan to have bed bugs here but we DID NOT bring them as was determined by the exterminators. our stuff would have them in it which nothing does. They come from cracks in the walls and baseboards. Thats why we see them so much during the day because they are desperate now after having no food and are trying to get into our things now. I have researched them and pretty much know all about them now. They are bed bugs and we know because we kept some to show the exterminators. Until you've dealt with them noone knows the stress it causes especially when you have children to worry about. All the rewashing of clothes and bedding and throwing away furniture is a hassle and is going to cost in the end in bills and replacing stuff. Which until i know they are gone will not be anytime soon. We are running into mold in the walls now after looking for the bugs we are finding other stuff wrong thats not healthy with this house so its just been a nightmare so far. On the surface this place looked great but after unpacking and looking deep into the house we have found other things. I guess we are spoiled to the military. We lived in such clean and well kept homes that this is a new thing to us. If something broke they came immediately to fix it. They moved people out of homes into new ones when there was mold not moved people into them. I just feel most of this stuff should have already been inspected by the landlords and taken care of after the last tenant. They said they would fix the fence for our dogs and its still completely destroyed and our little one gets out. I just think we've gotten ourselves into a mess now. anyway thanks to everyone who tried to help.

fairisfair

You callin' me the grammar po-po? I coudn't even read the damn thing because there was no order, no periods, no white spaces. Heck, I shouldn't need a new pair of glasses just so I can read FA every day!:D
I just try to read it without taking a breath. Wherever I run out of air, that's where I stop reading. LOL Yes, you are the grammar po-po, and you know it:D

moburkes

I just try to read it without taking a breath. Wherever I run out of air, that's where I stop reading. LOL Yes, you are the grammar po-po, and you know it:D
Whateva lady! I think if I space out while staring at the OP long enough, I start to see shapes and colors. I think she's trying to indoctrinate us with her special powers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">