• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bed Bugs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MA_tenant

What is the name of your state? MA

It has been over 6 months that I moved into this Apartment. Recently, I found Bed Bugs.

When reported, the apt management says I have to pay for pest control treatment since it came from my old mattress. They showed some black spots on the Mattress to prove that this is the proof that Bed Bugs existed in this Mattress before

It is true that I purchased a used Mattress (private Party) but that was over 6 months back when I moved into the apt. And there have not been any manifestation of bed bugs up until now.

The lease contract does not say anything about this and Mass law says that Apt Management need to pay for pest control.

Q1. Do I need to pay or am I being ripped

Q2. I will be moving out in another 4 months or so, is it wise to pay now and then sue after I move out (and recover my security).

Thanks in advance

I could have got my landlord for pest control for mouse infestation.. they sure didnt come in my mattress, But I had My own pest control(3 cats) No more mice! Good luck with the bed bugs, and I suggest a new mattress... After you move

MA_tenant

Thanks to those who posted a reply. However, I am still looking for a advice from legal/experience based perspective

Any help will be greatly appreciated

seniorjudge

Thanks to those who posted a reply. However, I am still looking for a advice from legal/experience based perspective

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Okay, here is an answer from a legal-based perspective:

When reported, the apt management says I have to pay for pest control treatment since it came from my old mattress. They showed some black spots on the Mattress to prove that this is the proof that Bed Bugs existed in this Mattress before

Correct.

It is true that I purchased a used Mattress (private Party) but that was over 6 months back when I moved into the apt. And there have not been any manifestation of bed bugs up until now.

Irrelevant.

The lease contract does not say anything about this and Mass law says that Apt Management need to pay for pest control.

Give us a cite to that law.

Q1. Do I need to pay or am I being ripped

A: Pay.

Q2. I will be moving out in another 4 months or so, is it wise to pay now and then sue after I move out (and recover my security).

A: You have no case.

MA_tenant

Thanks for the reply .... here is the MA law --

The owner of a dwelling containing two or more dwelling
units shall maintain it and its premises free from all
rodents, skunks, ****roaches and insect infestation and
shall be responsible for exterminating them.

MA_tenant

New update. The Pest control guy as well as apartment manager (pest control guy is recomended by him) is asking to pay in Cash. He says that he will offer a discount if I pay in Cash !

LindaP777

New update. The Pest control guy as well as apartment manager (pest control guy is recomended by him) is asking to pay in Cash. He says that he will offer a discount if I pay in Cash !
So? Either pay him the discounted price in cash, or wait for the second and yet higher estimate if you pay by check or credit card.

MA_tenant

So? Either pay him the discounted price in cash, or wait for the second and yet higher estimate if you pay by check or credit card.
The risk I see is ..... it might be possible they some back after a couple of months and say I did not have the treatment and need to do ! Is it wise to pay in Cash?

MA_tenant

Guys, I am reopening this thread to update the new happening.

I eventually paid for the bed bug treatment (did not want to risk security deposit) and moved out of the apartment a few months later.

After move out, I sent a letter to the Apt management citing the law and asking for reimbursement else I will sue them.

They promptly reimbursed me.

I am updating this thread so that people do not get discouraged by misinformation spread by people like seniorjudge, LindaP777.

Searchertwin

There is no such law that indicates a LL has to one's place FREE from all
They are responsible for exterminating and trying to put the situation under control but THEY CANNOT STOP THEM!!!! LL are not magicians.

Research:
"if the pollutant is biological in origin, such as ****roaches, mold, dust mites, etc., then there are no Federal laws to address these complaints."

So, you may have sent a letter, but they did not reimbursed you.

Can you send me the law that states that?

Other tenants might want to use it in their place of LaLa Land.:D

MA_tenant

There is no such law that indicates a LL has to one's place FREE from all
They are responsible for exterminating and trying to put the situation under control but THEY CANNOT STOP THEM!!!! LL are not magicians.
I NEVER said they are magicians and/or the need to guarantee to stop them.
They are responsible to PAY for extermination which my LL did not.
Read the post carefully.

Research:
"if the pollutant is biological in origin, such as ****roaches, mold, dust mites, etc., then there are no Federal laws to address these complaints."
Your research is useless. LL-Tenant matters are driven by state law NOT federal law.

So, you may have sent a letter, but they did not reimbursed you.
They DID reimburse. Read properly.

Can you send me the law that states that?

Other tenants might want to use it in their place of LaLa Land.:D

Here is the MA law once again --

The owner of a dwelling containing two or more dwelling
units shall maintain it and its premises free from all

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">