• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bed bugs in apartment complex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acd14

Ohio. UPDATE: There are 4 dumpsters in my complex with furniture next to them. Three months ago I started getting hives all over. They'd come and go off and on. I made multiple trips to the doctor with no answers. Well a few days ago I found a bed bug on my arm while on the couch. Further inspection lead me to find them all in the couch. We tossed two couches. The following day I dropped by the office and they said they would have their exterminator stop by. The exterminator came in an unmarked vehicle in regular clothes and worked for the property company. He came with nothing but a pump up sprayer and unknown chemical which he sprayed around my baseboards, carpet, and on my mattress. I asked him if he had issues in other units and he said he has sprayed multiple units multiple times. This issue has cost me at least $600. I've been stressed about this believing it was a health issue and even changed my diet drastically to try and resolve the problem. The apartment managers never alerted us that bed bugs were present on the premises and I'm wondering if this so called "exterminator" is even licensed. What should I do? Can I get my lease broken? What happens if I move and the bugs follow along? Can I send them a bill for my costs related to the bedbugs?

DeenaCA

Here's an informative article right here on FreeAdvice: http://real-estate-law.freeadvice.com/real-estate-law/landlord_tenant/who-pays-for-bed-bug-treatment-extermination.htm
The laws governing financial responsibility for extermination of bed bugs vary from state to state, but many states are placing the responsibility for bed bug treatments squarely on the shoulders of landlords. Because landlords are in a position to most effectively treat all areas in a rental dwelling, including common spaces, they are expected to carry the cost of treating the problem. This is especially relevant because the bugs can migrate, so treating one unit may not be enough – the whole building may have to be treated in order to eradicate the pests.
Information for Ohio: http://www.ohhn.org/bedbugbasics/. More information: http://www.cleveland.com/consumeraffairs/index.ssf/2010/08/what_to_do_if_your_apartment_c.html

How has the infestation cost $600?

acd14

I have had to go to the doctor due to the chronic hives from the bites (2 bills). I even regularly checked my bed and around it for signs of bed bugs and found none and was told by the doctor it wasn't bed bug bites which obviously is wrong. Two couches and most likely a third will need to be thrown out. 5 dumpsters in my complex have at least 10-15 pieces of furniture either in or next to them.

acd14

Lease Section

Section 17: Condition of Leased Premises states “The Landlord will, at the Landlord's own cost and expense, maintain the Leased Premises in a safe and sanitary condition and shall comply with all laws, ordinances, and regulations pertaining to the condition of the Lease Premises.”

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">