• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bed bugs in Colorado

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suitsnakes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

Hello, we live in Denver, CO in an apartment building. We have had bed bug problems for over a year now and have had many, many fumigations in an attempt to exterminate them. We've thrown away furniture only to replace it and find it infested again. We've spent money on preparation for the fumigations and replacing the furniture but it hasn't worked. Every time we fumigate the apartment, we have to turn off the lights and filters on our saltwater fish tanks, which is unhealthy for them to deal with for hours at a time and also costs us money. We're fed up with continuing to live with this problem and want to move out, but the problem is that our lease isn't up until December. Is there any way we can break our lease without ramifications?

graelstonst

that advice wasnt even in the least bit helpful. i also live in denver, i ALSO have a bad bedbug infestation, and my rental company isnt letting me out of my lease lightly either. they've told me that since they've fumigated, they've "done EVERYTHING they can possibly do".

EVERYTHING? really? i find that a little hard to believe. why not let me out of my lease for LESS than the $800 buy-out? pssh.
any help? ANYTHING? im going crazy with frustration. and bed bug bites.

Dv8Angel

IF.... there are serious issues with the unit. Serious doesn't mean a car horn - we mean water leaks, mold, failure to provide services etc.

To protect yourself whether or not you are planning on moving or not, you must notify the landlord in writing (certified mail) that there is a condition that needs to be addressed. IF the landlord fails to correct the problem in a "reasonable" time, you MIGHT be able to break the lease on that. Again, I use the word MIGHT. Consult a lawyer as I am not. This is only for reference.

However, I am researching further.

And by the way, bed bugs ARE your landlord's responsibility.

JETX

This is NOT the "I need to exterminate" forum. This is a LEGAL advice site. If you just moved into a property and believe that the bedbugs were there when you moved in (not a year later), the landlord should provide a professional extermination service. However, once that is done, if the bedbugs remain, it ia not the landlords responsibility. The bedbugs are with you.

Alaska landlord

Move if you like, but what makes you think the bed bugs are not follow you to your new apartment? knowing that you are the source of the problem, will you make it your new landlords problem?

Solution: Every other day spray between the mattress folds for bed bugs. or seal them in with a plastic cover. Wash all your linen and double dry them to make sure you cook those little critters. treat your furniture at least once a week with bug spray.

Dv8Angel

If the bedbugs remain, the problem is NOT corrected. The landlord is probably using a substandard fumigation service to save money and it's not working.

Alaska landlord

If the bedbugs remain, the problem is NOT corrected. The landlord is probably using a substandard fumigation service to save money and it's not working.
Not really. Eradication requires tenant cooperation. Tenant must be willing to wash ALL linen and clothing. If tenant is visiting family members or friends with same problem, then tenant is reintroducing the nasty little bugs. Considering that the tenant probably introduced the bugs to begin with, why should the landlord be left with the expense of getting rid of the bugs?

JETX

So, now you are an expert at what someone else MAY have done... without knowing who they are, when they did it, or what they did or how??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">