• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being charge carpet cleaning buy not in lease agreement.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cityhopper

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I get a call from my former landlord which I have been out of the unit for about a month and a half regarding fees due. I was kind of shocking considering I had not heard from them at all since leaving. I was explained they paid my final water/sewage bill and they charged me $450 to replace the carpets.

Now, I used their service people $65 to clean the unit.

I was never told during the lease signing carpets would need to be professionally cleaned by move out. Furthermore, the move-out clause in my lease states:

#39 Cleaning.
You must thoroughly clean the apartment, including doors, windows, furniture, bathrooms, kitchen appliances, patios, balconies, garages, carports, and storage rooms. You must following move-out cleaning instructions if they have been provided (they were not). If you don't clean adequately, you'll be liable for reasonable cleaning charges.

#40 Move-Out Inspection.
Within three business days after you move out, we'll inspect your unit and prepare a comprehensive list of damage done during your occupancy (over and above normal wear) and the estimated dollar value of the damage. You have 5 business days after moving out to verify the accuracy of our list and values. Before the end of the 5 days, by statue you must either (1) sign the list "as is" or (2) give us a signed, written notice of what is inaccurate, and return the list or notice to us. If you fail to do so, you cannot recover your security deposit or any other damages.

Not only did they not provide me with a "list of damages" within the three day time frame, they never contacted me period regarding any issues with the unit after I surrendered my keys on the final day.

I actually found out about via a voice message from agency. When I phoned in, I guess it was a collection agency and when I asked for a copy of everything, they hung up on me.

Now, look, I am not trying to avoid anything. I have never been late on rent in my life. I do not live "hard" and have always kept my units in good shape. I will state, that when I moved in the carpet was in fair condition--vacuumed but not spotless or brand new. I did clean the apartment and vacuum the carpet before I left (and that is before the cleaning people that I paid for came into the unit behind me to clean again).

I do not like to have a bad rental record but I do not want to be played.

Please Help.

$430 seems like an awfully high fee for their claim of a stain that was irremovable but not even the size of a palm.

Cvillecpm

Seems clear - you should have cleaned the unit and cleaned the carpets....KUDOS to your landlord for telling you WHAT to CLEAN!!!

DIRT is NEVER Normal Wear and Tear!!! I saw that on a pillow somewhere

Dispute the CA charge in writing AND request copies of documentation regarding outstanding charges.

cityhopper

There was not move-out cleaning checklist. I was never notified within the three days time as mentioned in section 40.

The unit was cleaned by me on top of the service I paid for to have it cleaned.

The lease doesn't stipulate anything about the carpets or floors being cleaning, it never mentions that in section 39 which I typed out above.

I am confused by why you think this is an open shut case.

They don't have to specifically state that the carpets need to be professionally cleaned. If they are dirty or damaged beyond normal wear and tear then the LL can charge you to remedy the situation.

aabbcc

The lease doesn't stipulate anything about the carpets or floors being cleaning,

I'm sure the lease doesn't say anything about the ceiling being clean either, but you are still responsible if you leave it dirty.

I'm also sure the lease doesn't specifically exclude horses and sheep in the living room. Does that mean it's OK?

Specifically listing every possible damage event is not required.

sandyclaus

Read this...

... Before the end of the 5 days, by statue you must either (1) sign the list "as is" or (2) give us a signed, written notice of what is inaccurate, and return the list or notice to us. If you fail to do so, you cannot recover your security deposit or any other damages.

Not only did they not provide me with a "list of damages" within the three day time frame, they never contacted me period regarding any issues with the unit after I surrendered my keys on the final day.
I read that THEY did not provide you with a list of damages, but your post says nothing about YOU having given them signed written notice of what was inaccurate. I'd say that the fact that you didn't get any list would have been cause to send them a signed written notice saying so, within that required 5 day period, in order to protect your own rights. But that's just me.

Make a signed written demand of the list in question, along with their proof that you allegedly received it within the required timeframe. It totally makes sense that you can't dispute a statutorily required damages list you never received.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">