• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being complained about by our neighbors below

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nmasson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My girlfriend and I have just moved into our first place a month ago yesterday and so far have been approached, first personaly then secondly through a note, two times by our neighbors below. We live in a five story apartment complex and we live on the fifth floor so we do not know what it is like to have people live above us in this complex. The first time was completely necesary as my girlfriend and I were playing "Rock Band" passed ordinance and we introduced ourselfs and apologized. The second time, friday the 20th, my girlfriend came home from work around 8pm or so to find a note on our door stating that we were slamming cabinets and running around passed ordinance and next time they are disturbed they will have no other option but to contact management. The time ordinance in our complex is from 10pm to 9am. Both my girlfriend and I most of the time dont get out of work and or school until later than that forcing us to live our lives a little later than most. The contract, and i quote, states "Excessive noise that disturbs other residents, such as loud music; conversations; musical instruments; cleaning or movements in the apartment will not be tolerated. Observe and respect quiet time between the hours of 10:00 p.m.-9:00 a.m."
Because of our late schedules we are forced to cook and wash our dishes passed this time. I can get small cushions for the cabinets to silence them as they do tend to be loud even with an accidental push. Because the contract does state noise that is excessively loud, would that include noise my girlfriend and I make as we walk (not run, I am not light footed but i am no troll either) around and noise we make from cooking. My girlfriend and I are not loud as when we come home we like to relax on the couch and prepare dinner. We do not prepare feasts but we do a little more that TV dinners. Would our behavior be considerd Excessive?
Thanks
Nick

atomizer

It sounds like you are not a good fit for the apartment you are residing in. I would contact management and state the problem you are having. Most of the time management ignore tenant complaints about each other until it becomes a serious issue. You might get a leg up on the situation if you demonstrate that you are actively trying to modify your behavior and the other tenant is being unreasonable.

Running the dishwasher after 10pm is a no-no.

nmasson

we rarly run the dishwasher, mostly wash by hand, as i understand running it that late would cause problems and try to, unless the kitchen is full of dishes, do them in the morning. I actually just got back from speaking with the tenant as they are being completely reasonable. Gave them my number to call if we are being too loud so they can call us instead of going to management.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">