• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued for unpaid rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eightpointstar0

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I am being sued in colorado small claims court by my ex landlord. I do not disagree with his dollar amount, but he wont make any deals with repayment....Do I have to show up for court? I think that I want the default judgement so it goes onto my credit so I can get rid of it in my up comming bankruptcy...any ideas, I know I cant go to jail for it and my credit is shot anyway from a devorce...If I dont show for court what will happen?

ted

fairlight

eightpointstar0 said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

I am being sued in colorado small claims court by my ex landlord. I do not disagree with his dollar amount, but he wont make any deals with repayment....Do I have to show up for court? I think that I want the default judgement so it goes onto my credit so I can get rid of it in my up comming bankruptcy...any ideas, I know I cant go to jail for it and my credit is shot anyway from a devorce...If I dont show for court what will happen?

ted
The landlord is not required to make deals with you regarding repayment of the money he's owed. Your cavalier attitude about your credit and upcoming declaration of bankruptcy indicates that you couldn't be expected to keep a deal regarding repayment anyway.

FarmerJ

If your going to end up in a chapter 13 just make sure to list the debt and the trustee will include it in your plan and the LL will have to live with the terms of your repayment plan. BUT be aware if you dont list the debt and have to go back and modify your plan to include it you will have to pay any cost for that as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">