• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beyond NORMAL wear and tear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CoCo_22

I am a Georgia resident. I have moved from one rental property to another within the same company. I completed my moveout and did my walkthrough that showed a few spots in the living room and in my toddler's bedroom. On the walkthrough sign off sheet these spots were notated as "normal wear and tear". Then the agent instructed me to sign the sheet with my forwarding address so they could mail me my deposit. A few days ago I was sent a bill for $319 saying they had to replace the entire carpet. I spoke with the rent office and they said they "were not experts in carpet and could not make the decision until the cleaners came". I thought the walkthrough and closeout signature was all they needed. Could some one please educate me on this? In my igorance, I feel as if I have been wronged. Any information would be appreciative.

Cvillecpm

"spots" are NOT normal wear and tear. You should have cleaned the carpet and anything in the apartment that needed cleaning. The check out is to do just that - check you out - not determine what you need to STILL DO to get your deposit back. 2 or 3 weeks before vacating, you should have contacted the office about what they EXPECTED you to do in order to get you FULL deposit back. You left too much to chance and therefore lost money from your deposit.

C

CoCo_22

I did clean the apartment before I vacated but there were "areas" where I had trouble cleaning with my houshold cleaner but I was certain a professional could have cleaned and in fact the "areas" faded to close to the original color but slightly darker. Even on the walkthrough the agent wrote " wear and tear" on the signoff form and then signed and dated it. So does that mean the walk through means nothing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">