• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bounced checks for security and 1st month's rent.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drzack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?New York

Although I had intended to sell my house in New York City, I recently agreed to rent it to a "charming" couple with a small child. They signed a lease to take tenancy on February 1 and sent by U.S. mail two checks (security + 1st month's rent) to my home in Florida. I deposited the security check into a segregated account and the rent check into my personal accoount. Lo, and behold, the checks boounced. In the interim, I turned away two offers to purchase and one to rent my house since I felt bound to honor my agreement with the couple while awaiting the signed lease and checks. What recourse(s) do I have?

CA LL

Please learn from this...NEVER give possession until ALL move in money is paid via CERTIFIED FUNDS (no personal checks!) and all documents signed.

They have possession sadly because you gave it to them without getting certified funds.

If you can't contact them you'd best contact a local LL attorney to help you out.

BL

If you have not signed the lease ,don't .

If you have not given entry keys don't .

File a report with the police .

Cvillecpm

Welcome to Landlording....Long distance landlording rarely works...hire a property manager to secure qualified tenants, handle repair and maintenance and provide you with the required financial information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">