• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boyfriend wont leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trauma64

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I have recently moved to Texas and I'm not familiar with the laws. My boyfriend of 3 months stays at my house every night. He has paid one electric bill and maybe 1 gas bill. He only has his work clothes at the house and a few papers with his laptop. I have told him that I want him to leave and he is refusing. He is not on my lease and I want to know what is the process to get him to leave. Do I have to evict him? At this point I will do whatever it takes, I just want him gone.

ErinGoBragh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I have recently moved to Texas and I'm not familiar with the laws. My boyfriend of 3 months stays at my house every night. He has paid one electric bill and maybe 1 gas bill. He only has his work clothes at the house and a few papers with his laptop. I have told him that I want him to leave and he is refusing. He is not on my lease and I want to know what is the process to get him to leave. Do I have to evict him? At this point I will do whatever it takes, I just want him gone.
Google landlord-tenant laws for your state and follow them to a T. He is a tenant and has the right to refuse to leave unless you go through the legal procedure. And no, sorry, he won't be out tomorrow.

Alaska landlord

Or, you can place his stuff at the door and change the locks. If he has the guts he can sue you and probably win. You can either pay or take the lumps in your credit report.

trauma64

OK, update to last night. He was arrested for public intoxication after I had to call 911 for him taking a bunch of pills. He was alert and oriented so the ambulance could not take him so the police arrested him for public intoxication. He made several threats to me and my kids, verbal only, but earlier in the night he had slammed my hand into my laptop. I informed the police all about this but they did nothing about it. Does anyone have any better advice??

Gail in Georgia

Police don't like to get into the eviction business (without a court order) as they consider this a civil, not criminal, matter.

However; have you looked into getting a restraining order against the boyfriend?

Gail

trauma64

Gail - Restraining orders in Tx are still a civil matter and the police cannot enforce them

Yes I have to raise my standards..first of all I never moved him in. In Texas if someone stays at your house for one night that gives them residency. I didnt know any of that until last night. But I never moved him in. I dont want or need the drama in my life and I just want him to be gone so I can take care of my kids and be done with the entire mess. I'm not looking for sympathy, I just want to know the right way to take care of this. It has truly been a learning experience for me.

applecruncher

first of all I never moved him in. In Texas if someone stays at your house for one night that gives them residency. I didnt know any of that until last night. But I never moved him in.
It's all semantics. I didn't say you "moved him in". Buy you obviously "let" him stay for not only one night but three months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">