• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Break a lease due to death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mkbruce

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

My father in law passed away in Feb. his lease on his apartment in not up until 9/09. The landlord says we (his family) is responsible for the monthly rent until the lease is up or until he rents the apartment. What is the law?

TigerD

My father in law passed away in Feb. his lease on his apartment in not up until 9/09. The landlord says we (his family) is responsible for the monthly rent until the lease is up or until he rents the apartment. What is the law?
Did you sign the lease? If not tell the landlord to get stuffed.

DC

Who's Liable?

Tell the LL to pound sand... Family is NOT liable for a lease UNLESS their signature is on the lease or they are a co-signer...

CA LL

Folks..WRONG..this is STATE LAW driven and each state varies.

For example in CA the family IS ON THE HOOK as explained above for a fixed term lease BUT for a MTM the tenancy is terminated at death (when both parties agree re: possessions vs rent money).

Your estate attorney should know.

Cvillecpm

Ditto Ca LL - the heirs and assigns or estate is on the hook...NOT the individual family members. Get suff out of apt ASAP, clean and give keys to landlord so they can re-rent and mitigate damages to the estate!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">