• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

breaking lease 1 month early and ability to use last month rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Caroleblack

I am in burbank california.
If I am breaking my lease one month early due to extreme circumstances beyond my control and I want to use my last months rent (prepaid) as my last month (month 11) can my land lord give me a 3 day pay or quit and lock me out. I have a 15 year son living with me also. She has said she will not except this and i have to pay rent and will incure fees if not paid by the 3rd.
I have always corresponded with her via email i called her on the 27th, she did not return my call, so i emailed her on the 28 and hand delivered to her parents and also land lord that live in one of the 3 units.:(

The_Saint

Have you given the required notice to terminate the lease? i.e. have you forfilled your obligations of the lease you signed?

Gail in Georgia

Your last months rent (and I'm assuming this is prepaid rent, not the security deposit) would be used for the last month in your lease; month 12. You still need to pay for month 11.

If not, your landlord can begin the eviction process; however she cannot lock you out of the rental until the case has gone through the court system, the request for an eviction granted and the actual eviction scheduled.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">