• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking a lease b/c of a loud tenant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fashionista007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I have lived in my apartment for 8 years and for the past year I have had a noise issue with my downstairs neighbor. He is employed by my property management company as a maintenance worker. I have told him repeatedly to keep his music down. I have complained in writing to the leasing office and finally they told him to keep it down or else he'd get written up. He and I had a civil conversation right before Christmas and he told me that he would keep it down. We even shook hands on it. That did not happen. He continues to make my life unbearable here. I ended up renewing my lease (which expired on 12/31/09) after our conversation because I felt confident that the matter had been resolved. I am paying nearly $1300/mo for a so called "luxury" apartment and I do not feel that I should have to pay any lease breaking penalty fee. How should I proceed with my property manager? I have not met with him yet to discuss this matter because I want to be prepared with legal information should I need it.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What did the police say when you called to make a noise complaint?

Why would you renew a lease when you KNEW there were problems that had not been addressed, even though you had complained verbally AND in writing? Makes it seem like the problem wasn't quite as bad as you would like others to believe.

sandyclaus

And what did the management say when you made an additional written complaint after their employee failed to comply with your agreement? If the guy understands his job is in the line, he will be more likely to get the noise down. If you haven't already written another complaint, rather than threatening to terminate your lease just yet, I'd do that first. Otherwise, the management would not be as willing to you let you out of the lease without penalty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">