• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking a lease due to job relocation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sgines

My fiance and I are currently renting a townhouse in the state of Ohio. His work is relocating him to North Carolina. Do we have legal grounds to teminate our lease early? If so, are we also entitled to get our security deposit back?

H

happy&lucky

His company should pay for the relocation and any penalties associated with breaking the lease.

JETX

Geez, 'happyroach'!!
What a stupid response.

There is NOTHING in this thread that would even indicate that the company is liable or agreed to pay fees for termination of the lease. And, there is NO statutory obligation to do it either.

So, why in earth were you so compelled to make such a stupid post?????

H

happy&lucky

Well i''ll tell ya parder.........

If you are a valued employee it would be stupid for them not to pay for the unepected expenses in moving. (termination fee)

Now if the company doesnt think you are a valued employee then they dont really want you to move with them,..... they wont pay a dime, and you are stuck paying it, or finding another job.

i think its a reasonable question to ask.

Last edited:

JETX

You continue to put your own 'personal' spin on these don't you.... even when they have no basis in fact!!

If this were the true reason that you have wasted all this bandwidth... how come you haven't mentioned "The employer should pay" on ANY of the other 4 or 5 posts about employment transfer???

Guess you are really just so bored (AND boring) that you feel compelled to respond.. even when you have nothing to say.

Someone, QUICK!!! Turn on the lights so that 'happyroach' will scurry under a refrigerator!!!

H

happy&lucky

Well cause most people figure if they are dispensable then the company wont pay.

To me its a RED FLAG, that the company wont pay for things that the worker/teneant incurred through no fault of their own.

My advice if they dont pay...watch out.....more krap is likely to happen after the move. DONT get an expensive apartment, DONT buy anything big, rent a UHAUL, dont pay movers.......

How many horror stories have we read about in the last 2 years companies move, then fire thier employees who moved with them.......

They mostly seem to have one thing in common..... the company didnt pay their extra expenses...UPFRONT!!!!!!!

D

DECEMBERSGIRL

I 100% AGREE WITH HALKET . MAYBE HAPPY ROACH DOESNT HAVE A JOB THEREFORE WHERE WOULD THE EXPERTISE COME IN? SINCE WHEN WERE EMPLOYERS EVER RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU BREAKING A LEASE? DID YOUR EMPLOYER RENT THE PLACE IN HIS NAME? DOES HE LIVE WITH YOU???
I THINK YOU HAVE BASIS TO BREAK THE LEASE IF YOU GIVE ENOUGH NOTICE AND MAYBE HELP FIND A NEW RENTER????

H

happy&lucky

oh gimme a break........

If you had any common sense, you would realize that 99% of all the companies out there pay BIG MONEY to move its executives...

So why shouldnt they pay to move their lowly workers as well?

If they dont have some sort of plan to pay their workers moving expenses, then I would seriously question the companies motives.

And it might be a whole lot cheaper to quit, and not move!

Last edited:

HomeGuru

happy&lucky said:
oh gimme a break........

If you had any common sense, you would realize that 99% of all the companies out there pay BIG MONEY to move its executives...

So why shouldnt they pay to move their lowly workers as well?

If they dont have some sort of plan to pay their workers moving expenses, then I would seriously question the companies motives.

And it might be a whole lot cheaper to quit, and not move!
My response: happy, not only do you not know the L/T laws but now you fabricate statistics out of thin air. I am a provider to several relocation companies and there is no way that 99% of the companies pay for employee relocation. Please quote your sources.

H

happy&lucky

OK how many $100,000+ executives pay their own moving expenses, closing costs on their homes, pay for 2 mortgages, pay for bridge loans, pay for private schools in both locations....

vesus a $25,000 hourly worker?

I bet the high paid worker get most or all of his expenses paid for (reimbursed), and the $12 an hour worker has to pay their own moving expenses AND the costs of breaking their leases!

Unless of course its a UNION job!

Last edited:
G

Gene Gayda

I don’t agree with many (most?) of the answers happy&lucky posts. However, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

When I was a wage slave (many, many moons ago . . . Alas!) I was relocated four times due to the desires of the company sending me those checks. Not only would they pay for the cost of hiring a professional moving company, they would also reimburse me for any lease cancellation charges.

But, I thought then, as I still think now, that I’m one of the “1%-ers” You’re right about taking h&l to task about his outlandish claim of 99%.

Gene

JETX

Damn, I really hate to get back into this fray with 'happyroach', but I have to respond to his drivel.....

'happyroach' said, "I bet the high paid worker get most or all of his expenses paid for (reimbursed), and the $12 an hour worker has to pay their own moving expenses AND the costs of breaking their leases!"

Of course he is correct (this time!). But his statement is so obvious that it is laughable!

Let's see.... as Mr. Employer, "I have to fill TWO positions in that 'branch office', one being the manager and the other being the mail-clerk. I have an 'extra' $100,000-per-year Executive here at the home office... she is fully qualified to be the branch manager down there.... and she really deserves the promotion. If I want her to relocate, I will go ahead and pay her expenses. Now, lets look at that mail-clerk job... I have an extra $7.00-an-hour clerk here, but it is really an 'unskilled' job. I can probably hire a local down there. But, wait, old 'happyroach' has said that he would like to live there. I will go ahead and offer him THAT job, but it really doesn't warrant my paying him to relocate AND to get out of his lease. Guess he will just have to keep pestering those folks over there at FreeAdvice.com during his breaks!! Oh well, that is just Business Economics 101!!"

[And, yes, I have also had paid relocation....]

Last edited:
H

happy&lucky

Finally we get back to the original question ......NO you are not entitled to end the lease early and get your deposit back.....

So you will have to decide is it worth the move and all the extra expenses.

You also have to decide if the company is worth moving for. If they wont pay for your moving expenses or lease termination fee, is there any other reason to move with them?

Do you have any guarentees about the job? is it a union job? Do you have any pension/retiremnet vested?

My take is if the company wont pay for this ...watch out below.....

They could move to an area with lower paid workers, then next year subcontact the work to MEXICO!....then you are up a creek ...

sgines said:
My fiance and I are currently renting a townhouse in the state of Ohio. His work is relocating him to North Carolina. Do we have legal grounds to teminate our lease early? If so, are we also entitled to get our security deposit back?

JETX

Ah, 'happyroach', your bigotry is showing again....

A large number of the factories in Mexico that have been opened in the past few years are now being shut down. Seems that the labor rates are getting too high and the 'owners' are now moving their labor to 'cheaper' places like Malaysia!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">