• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking lease early

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nick07cole

I am living in Colorad and am renting a house. I have found a home to buy, but my landlord wont let me break my lease early. He said that I have to pay 80% of the remander(about 8000$)! My contract doesn't sat anything about the tenent braking early. Also, I am married, my wife signed the lease, but I didn't. Is it still leagaly binding?

Alaska landlord

Throwing your wife under the bus?

You signed a contract and if you break it your landlord is entitled to recover damages. The court will decide what is fair compensation for the LL.

CourtClerk

Compensation will include the amount of rent money the landlord is out between the time you leave and the property is rented again. Also, there are sometimes penalties written into your lease that provide for additional damages.

Hot Topic

The landlord should be able to charge rent for the time the house isn't occupied, plus all costs associated with having to put it on the market again.

Are you saying that since your wife signed the lease and you didn't, she's should be responsible for compensating the landlord? I notice that you use "I" more than you use "we." My sympathies to your wife.

onehotmom

Why not try and talk to the LL and work something out.
You cant be liable for something once the LL rents it out again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">