• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking lease early

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jerseysprintnut

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I currently rent a first floor of a house where some 7 months ago the upstairs tennent's water heater went bad. My landlord as a temp. fix, tied her pipes to my water heater, against my wishes, and has not replaced her water heater. It has now gotten ugly where words have been spoken and I have gotten very upset. Add to that, My landlord never got a C.O. when I or several others have moved in. In anger because of some personal things my landlord has said to me, I contacted the boro, a violation was sent, (code enforcer had sent 4 letters and they finally replied that their daughter lived there--NOT true) and now they are very mad.
There is more but I want to get out now and I have a place that I can move to in 2 weeks. My lease does not have anything about having to give notice as it is a standard legal form lease. Do you think I have a chance on getting out early? My landlord says no, until a new tennent is found.

HELP---The code enforcer is doing an inspection in the AM. I hope it fails

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">