• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking Lease Early

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mavendark

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Because of my job (relocation) I am coming out of my lease early. The terms on the lease says that I must pay 1/2 month rent charge for breaking the lease as well as keep paying rent until the place is re-rented.

I communicated to my landlord about this and he says that as long as I move out on October 1st he will just take whatever rent that I owe (since I have to keep paying rent until someone moves in) out of my security deposit as well as that 1/2month rent charge. (Never mind the fact that this doesn't make sense since I am "technically" still renting out this place on Oct. 1st if he's taking it out of my security deposit...don't really understand why I'm kicked out on Oct.1)

ANYWAY, since he's taking it out of my security deposit, is there any way I can make sure that he's taking out the right amount? I mean what is there to stop him from lying to me and saying that he couldn't find a tenant and just taking all my security deposit? How would I know when the unit is rented out so I know EXACTLY how much he's supposed to take out of my security deposit?

Any advice would help!

Thanks!

aabbcc

I mean what is there to stop him from lying to me and saying that he couldn't find a tenant and just taking all my security deposit?
Nothing. People lie all the time.

How would I know when the unit is rented out so I know EXACTLY how much he's supposed to take out of my security deposit?
Have a friend drive by the property on a regular basis to see if anyone is living there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">