• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking lease early because of eviction notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

firestarter247

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I signed up for a 14 month lease with an apartment complex. With those 14 months, we got to choose 2 free months. We chose August and December. Well, August 28 came around and I got an intent to evict notice basically saying that they were going to file papers to evict us because we didn't pay August rent!?!?

I contacted the apartment office and they never apologized but they said it was straightened up since August was one of our free months.

A few days ago, I had an Internal Audit lady for the apartment complex come knock on my door. She said I was late on my payments. I explained how August was free and I owed them nothing. At this point I was pretty pissed. I contacted the office again and scheduled a meeting with them.

Once again, they said it was straightened out and never apologized for threatening to kick my out and leave me homeless. Since they put an intent to evict notice on my door in August, does that mean that they broke the lease? Am I able to get out of this lease without any early termination payments? I don't want to live there since they like to threaten to kick me out for THEIR paperwork mistakes.

Any advice would be great!

M

macktosh

Sorry, no get out of lease card, the landlord didnt violate the lease. They may be jerks, and incompetent, but thats not illegal.

Your only recourse is to keep very accurate records, and to pay your rent on time, so if they try and do this again, you could ask a judge to terminate your lease without penalties.

Also you know, if you break your lease you will owe them the 2 "free" months rent PLUS any other penalties. So since you are ticked off at them , plan on moving out when your lease ends.

HomeGuru

firestarter247 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I signed up for a 14 month lease with an apartment complex. With those 14 months, we got to choose 2 free months. We chose August and December. Well, August 28 came around and I got an intent to evict notice basically saying that they were going to file papers to evict us because we didn't pay August rent!?!?

I contacted the apartment office and they never apologized but they said it was straightened up since August was one of our free months.

A few days ago, I had an Internal Audit lady for the apartment complex come knock on my door. She said I was late on my payments. I explained how August was free and I owed them nothing. At this point I was pretty pissed. I contacted the office again and scheduled a meeting with them.

Once again, they said it was straightened out and never apologized for threatening to kick my out and leave me homeless. Since they put an intent to evict notice on my door in August, does that mean that they broke the lease? Am I able to get out of this lease without any early termination payments? I don't want to live there since they like to threaten to kick me out for THEIR paperwork mistakes.

Any advice would be great!
**A: start documenting things in writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">