• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking a lease for safety reasons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toplitzin

What is the name of your state? SC

As a tennant am I able to break my lease for my own safety? I am having issues regarding a previous girlfriend, and for lack of a better phrase am being stalked by her current boyfriend and accomplices and have been assulted once already.

Do I have any recourse for moving out of my current address where I have observed them driving by and watching me, to move to a different address before my lease is up for my own safety? The agent understands and agrees with my situation but says there is nothing she can do because it is leased through a corporation, and if I leave I will owe the next three months of my leases rent.What is the name of your state?

Hot Topic

How can you be sure that the boyfriend and accomplices won't stake out the building and
follow you to the new address?

Did you get a restraining order against them? Did you file charges with the police following the assault? How is it that you just happen to be at the windows when they drive by?

Read your lease about early terminations. You can't break it without penalty on the basis of what might happen.

las365

Dye your hair, grow a beard and buy a new car until your lease is up.

How is this your landlord's problem?
Well, they might damage the property while they're bringing the beatdown on OP. Plus it's bad public relations to have violence happening at your rental units.

Would that angle work if it was your tenant?

ncpropmgr

Well, they might damage the property while they're bringing the beatdown on OP. Plus it's bad public relations to have violence happening at your rental units.

Would that angle work if it was your tenant?
It wouldn't work with me. Again, it's NONE of my business and if they damage my property, I'd be calling the police.

Alaska landlord

Only problem is that once you allow that kind of excuse for breaking a lease, then everyone and their mothers will claim they are breaking their lease for their own personal safety.

Hot Topic

I'm not sure the claim is on the level. The poster failed to mention that he'd contacted the police, which a normal person would do after being assaulted. An assault would suggest, too, the need for medical attention. Nothing was said about that either. The next thing that often said in these situations is something like, "I talked to the police, and they won't do anything about it."

It appears that the poster wants us to believe that he sits by his window 24 hours a day because that would be about the only way that he could observe the boyfriend/accomplices driving by and/or watching him.

Wes1212

It appears that the poster wants us to believe that he sits by his window 24 hours a day because that would be about the only way that he could observe the boyfriend/accomplices driving by and/or watching him.

Yeah, if he was stupid.....

HomeGuru

**A: or maybe there is a video camera in use.

Alaska landlord

It's relatively easy to know if you are being watched and followed. I know because I had a stalker. I stopped it by driving into a dead end street, stepping out of my car and producing a weapon. My ex-wife's friends decided this was not worth getting killed over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">