• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking lease without penalty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diana17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
In June 2014 I had 3 days to search for an apartment while in the area that I live in now, while visiting from out of state. A month before I moved out of IL to FL I decided on the location that I am living in now because of the time limit. At the "preview" of the property in June I was only shown a model and the pool area. Nothing more about the property. I didn't have time or the funds to make a second trip down just to recheck the property.

Once I got down here and settled I found that there are a number of issues with the location (safety being one of them - I have been followed a couple of times). There is drug use on site (the property management has issued warnings to the building that I live in specifically). Automobiles vandalized. Residents not using the one and only trash compactor for a complex of over 380 units, correctly, therefore the trash piles up outside overflowing the steps to compactor thus creating a health hazard (rodents, squirrels and other animals). Plus this is supposed to be a gated community however, there are a number of times that the gates don't shut or people just push through after the car in front of them.

What I would like to do is get out of my lease without having to pay the required 2 months of rent. It's not a small amount of money. Can anyone tell me HOW I can do that? I have made the onsite office aware of my displeasure in these matters. I will have to stay another 9 months (15 month lease) and I really don't want to continue living in the area that I do not feel safe in.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In June 2014 I had 3 days to search for an apartment while in the area that I live in now, while visiting from out of state. A month before I moved out of IL to FL I decided on the location that I am living in now because of the time limit. At the "preview" of the property in June I was only shown a model and the pool area. Nothing more about the property. I didn't have time or the funds to make a second trip down just to recheck the property.

Once I got down here and settled I found that there are a number of issues with the location (safety being one of them - I have been followed a couple of times). There is drug use on site (the property management has issued warnings to the building that I live in specifically). Automobiles vandalized. Residents not using the one and only trash compactor for a complex of over 380 units, correctly, therefore the trash piles up outside overflowing the steps to compactor thus creating a health hazard (rodents, squirrels and other animals). Plus this is supposed to be a gated community however, there are a number of times that the gates don't shut or people just push through after the car in front of them.

What I would like to do is get out of my lease without having to pay the required 2 months of rent. It's not a small amount of money. Can anyone tell me HOW I can do that? I have made the onsite office aware of my displeasure in these matters. I will have to stay another 9 months (15 month lease) and I really don't want to continue living in the area that I do not feel safe in.
If you really feel unsafe, then the 2 month penalty for breaking the lease won't factor in to your decision to move. At this point, you are just inconvenienced.

Silverplum

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/tenants-right-break-rental-lease-florida.html

Usually, you'll have to pay the penalty. But you can read and see if anything applies to you: I didn't see anything.

STEPHAN

In FL they do not have to let you out of the contract. But you can always negotiate. I suggest you do not tell them now bad they manage the property - that usually does not lead to anything. But maybe in a nice communication you can get it down to one month or so. If I felt not save, I would do this right away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">