• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking my lease due to domestic violence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

malaya66

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was abused by my ex-boyfriend whom I shared a lease with in July 2010. He went to jail and I received an emergency protective order. According to California civil code 1946.7 I was legally permitted to get out of the lease in order to leave the apartment we shared. I followed all instructions, and sent my landlord a letter stating that I was a victim of domestic violence and needed to break my lease along with the copy of the EPO. Now, 8 months later I am receiving a bill from my landlord for outstanding rent that my ex did not pay the last 2 months of his tenancy. I know that I am no longer on the lease, but I did not receive this statement in writing even though I had requested it. Can my previous landlord now hold me responsible for this unpaid rent? And can he affect my credit report if I do not pay? I am wondering if I need to get a lawyer, or what my next steps should be. This website includes the civil code and other important information if you're not familiar with it.
http://nhlp.org/files/Civil Code 1946.7 Toolkit.pdf
I appreciate any advice. Thank you.

BL

If you were released from your lease under DV provisions , the LL can not collect from you unless within the 30 days of your notice.

[U]www.nhlp.org/files/Civil Code 1946.7 Toolkit.pdf[/U]

Send a RRR Certified letter and one reg. mail reminding that LL your had a right to be released from the lease under the State's DV provisions ( include another copy of the Law ) .

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">