• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broke a apt. lease what are legal fees and what is not an apt. can charge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VRob

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas is the name of my State. I have a question regarding the me breaking a lease last spring. I had spoken back and forth with my apts' manager regarding my late rent situation. I was behind on bills and behind on my rent and trying to catch up and it was difficult me not having worked long enough at my new job. She knew the circumstances, yet I know policy is policy. I knew that I would face consequences breaking the lease. I never had experienced anything of such nature, and in my previous apt. After attempting to get caught up and communicating with the apt. office manager, I had not choice at that time, but to prevent eviction, break the lease with intentions according to my lease to pay for reletting fee. When I moved in in September of 2003, I was presented with their special no deposit and get 1000 applied to your rent and a Caribbean Cruise. I wasn't so into the cruise as I was with the deal I received on the apt. I spoke with the leasing agents..yes, I do know names. She explained their promotion for free cruise. I was able to use apart of the 1000 dollars twoards rent or however I chose to use it. She explained that most tenants use 500 twoards the first month rent and the remainder pro rate discount off the remainder monthly rents. I paid $545 a month. I broke my lease in April 2003, unwillingly..I made the decision with intentions to pay what I owed. Well, I received an itemized list back from the apts. showing a list of charges. Cleaning, which the apt wasn't bad, but I left a leather couch in there too heavy to move by myself. I was moving all my self. That charge was understandable. I was also charged for the $1000 deal I received on my lease. I received all the discounts tallied up and charged to me even the months that I lived in. I also NEVER received any information on the cruise for two. When I brought it up there were a lot of on holds and uh, lets make a deal I will discount March..I believe not sure rent..basically a $200 value..which i know the trip was worth more to have two people go on a Carribean cruise trip. I am wanting to pay off this balance, but not pay unfair charges. Can an apartment legally charge me for my deal and not followup on my Cruise package.. All of this deal and Cruise is stated in my lease. They have my paperwork, but they sent the case to a Collection agency. I have spoken to them my totaled owed is $2,213.00. Does this sound accurate??? My rent was 545.00 a month. I really would like advice so that I can pay what I truly owe and move on from a mistake, bad situation and move on with my life. I need a place to live and learned from a horrible situation that I was in. I would be homeless trying to find a place. I understand apts. will not let me reside or lack trust, but it isn't the first time that has happened, for a number of different reasons...move into a new house, deaths, war etc. mine was in the past, I need a place to live, but $2,213.00 is alot. I feel that I am unfairly charged. I want advice on what to do. None of this is stated in my lease. Please advice. I am willing to pay what I legally owe, not outright charges thrown on out of spite. Please help..Believe me I need a place to live.

Thanks,

VRob :(

HomeGuru

VRob said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas is the name of my State. I have a question regarding the me breaking a lease last spring. I had spoken back and forth with my apts' manager regarding my late rent situation. I was behind on bills and behind on my rent and trying to catch up and it was difficult me not having worked long enough at my new job. She knew the circumstances, yet I know policy is policy. I knew that I would face consequences breaking the lease. I never had experienced anything of such nature, and in my previous apt. After attempting to get caught up and communicating with the apt. office manager, I had not choice at that time, but to prevent eviction, break the lease with intentions according to my lease to pay for reletting fee. When I moved in in September of 2003, I was presented with their special no deposit and get 1000 applied to your rent and a Caribbean Cruise. I wasn't so into the cruise as I was with the deal I received on the apt. I spoke with the leasing agents..yes, I do know names. She explained their promotion for free cruise. I was able to use apart of the 1000 dollars twoards rent or however I chose to use it. She explained that most tenants use 500 twoards the first month rent and the remainder pro rate discount off the remainder monthly rents. I paid $545 a month. I broke my lease in April 2003, unwillingly..I made the decision with intentions to pay what I owed. Well, I received an itemized list back from the apts. showing a list of charges. Cleaning, which the apt wasn't bad, but I left a leather couch in there too heavy to move by myself. I was moving all my self. That charge was understandable. I was also charged for the $1000 deal I received on my lease. I received all the discounts tallied up and charged to me even the months that I lived in. I also NEVER received any information on the cruise for two. When I brought it up there were a lot of on holds and uh, lets make a deal I will discount March..I believe not sure rent..basically a $200 value..which i know the trip was worth more to have two people go on a Carribean cruise trip. I am wanting to pay off this balance, but not pay unfair charges. Can an apartment legally charge me for my deal and not followup on my Cruise package.. All of this deal and Cruise is stated in my lease. They have my paperwork, but they sent the case to a Collection agency. I have spoken to them my totaled owed is $2,213.00. Does this sound accurate??? My rent was 545.00 a month. I really would like advice so that I can pay what I truly owe and move on from a mistake, bad situation and move on with my life. I need a place to live and learned from a horrible situation that I was in. I would be homeless trying to find a place. I understand apts. will not let me reside or lack trust, but it isn't the first time that has happened, for a number of different reasons...move into a new house, deaths, war etc. mine was in the past, I need a place to live, but $2,213.00 is alot. I feel that I am unfairly charged. I want advice on what to do. None of this is stated in my lease. Please advice. I am willing to pay what I legally owe, not outright charges thrown on out of spite. Please help..Believe me I need a place to live.

Thanks,

VRob :(
**A: wait some more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">