• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broke lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vyacc1

I live in Arizona. I broke my lease because my wife passed away I for could not afford it waiting for death benefits to kick in and it was super hard for me to be there with the mrmories. I got a letter today asking for to full amount of the lease owed. I thought that they would have to try and midigate damages first. I thought they could not collect rent twice. If someone else moved in or moves in how can they charge me the full amount?

Gail in Georgia

Your reasoning for breaking your lease are not legal reasons for doing so.

Having said that, in Arizona a landlord must make a REASONABLE effort to rerent the unit. Emphasis on reasonable. Not heroic measures. In the meantime, you would continue to owe rent until your lease would normally expire.

And yes, if they have re-rented the unit they cannot collect any further rent from you. Do you know if the landlord/management has found new tenants for this rental property?

Gail

vyacc1

Yes my mother knocked on the door. People were living there. What do I do now? I understand I owe but not if they got someone in the next month. What do I do from here? They are trying to collect 6 months of the lease I broke. When someone moved in the following month.

Gail in Georgia

You notify management (in writing) that you are aware that there are now new people living in the rental unit and you would like an accurate accounting of the amount you owe from the time you broke your lease until this new lease was put into effect.

Gail

vyacc1

You notify management (in writing) that you are aware that there are now new people living in the rental unit and you would like an accurate accounting of the amount you owe from the time you broke your lease until this new lease was put into effect.

Gail
I left an email to the complex like you said and called and left a voicemail for the person that is trying to collect the debt. I have yet to hear any response. How can i prevent this from going on my credit if they ignore me. I know for 100% fact that the new people moved in the following month I left from talking to the neighbors. I paid for march and moved out in march. The new people moved in May first. I also gave them a $1200 deposit. So if anything I owe them for April minus my deposit. What do I do from here?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I left an email to the complex like you said and called and left a voicemail for the person that is trying to collect the debt. I have yet to hear any response. How can i prevent this from going on my credit if they ignore me. I know for 100% fact that the new people moved in the following month I left from talking to the neighbors. I paid for march and moved out in march. The new people moved in May first. I also gave them a $1200 deposit. So if anything I owe them for April minus my deposit. What do I do from here?
Stop using email - write a letter and send it, return receipt requested.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
That's NOT what Gail said.

She said *in writing*, as in *snail mail*. Preferably with some way of tracking (certified) so that you have proof, should things go to court.

Gail in Georgia

"The OP knows that, girlyGA!

He writes that "HE BROKE THE LEASE"! He hasn't asked for an opinion as to whether the death of his wife excuses performance. "

What, exactly, is your mental health problem latigo?

Gail

vyacc1

OK I am going to send a certified letter to the complex. They did reply to the email with their lawyers number. Should I talk to him? Or just send letter? Like I said I am 100% certain someone has moved in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">