• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broke lease, but LL re-rented unit on Airbnb - any precedents?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

renterx2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I recently had to break my lease. I gave 45 days notice by email and 30 days by certified mail. I tried to find another renter on Craigslist and through several other sites - to no avail. I have proof that I made a good faith effort to try to rent it for the entire remainder of my term and beyond.

The lease ended on January 31st. I originally intended to vacate the property on Dec. 15th but paid for the full month of December, explaining that if the landlord was able to re-rent the property, I knew I would be entitled to a refund for any days in December that it was rented.

After I gave notice, the LL made it clear that if I could not find another renter, she would hold me responsible for the rent for the month of January. So I contacted her the following day and told her that I would go ahead and stay for the entire month of January if I would be paying for it. She then told me that she had already rented the unit on Airbnb for 3 days from Dec. 30 - Jan. 2 (Note: I had already paid for the entire month of December). She was saying that if I now wanted to stay for the month of January, that I would need to move out for those three days and then move back in after the other renters were gone. At that point, I explained that moving out and back in was not feasible, and that I would move out on Dec. 29th but that I would not be returning. I also told her that she could keep the two days of rent that I had already paid for the month of December and put it towards cleaning of the apartment for the new tenants.

Wrote to the LL the other day to ask about the security deposit (it is past the 21-day period as required by law). The LL is now telling me that since she only brought in one-third of the monthly rent via two short Airbnb rentals, she is keeping my security deposit to cover the remaining two-thirds of the January rent. I should also add that she included "non-refundable" portions of the security deposit (for a pet fee and cleaning fee), and as I mentioned, she did not contact me with an inventory of deductions within 21 days of our vacating the premises.

I plan to take her to Small Claims Court and argue that, beyond the fact that she did not comply with the 21-day rule, our responsibility for the rent ended when the unit was re-rented on December 30, and that she alone chose to rent the unit on Airbnb and to set a 3-day minimum rather than a 30-day minimum rental term. If she had re-rented the unit for the whole month, it would have been an open and shut case, but since she chose to rent for these shorter rental terms, it gets complicated. Does anyone know if there are any precedents that have been set on this issue?

P.S. Even if the judge does agree with her that I should be held responsible for any difference in rent between what I would have owed and what she brought in, I have screenshots of the Airbnb calendar showing that the unit was "unavailable" for many more days in January than she is saying she rented it on Airbnb. It's therefore very feasible that she could have rented it to her friends or family or through Craigslist or VRBO on those other days in January, and she simply isn't telling me about those rental fees. When I told her that I had screenshots showing that the unit was unavailable for most of January, she said that was because she was out of town a lot in January, so she took it off the market for those days since she couldn't be there to hand over keys with the Airbnb tenants (despite the fact that there is an entire cottage industry here in CA of companies that will manage Airbnb rentals -- or there's always a simple lockbox).

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

I don't see any thing wrong with arguing in small claims court that the LLs choice to do short term rentals was just that, the LLs choice and the LL should not be rewarded for this choice by making you pay for it.

FarmerJ

Not as tired now lol so the reason I said what I did was based on this, If someone has moved early and the LL will let a replacement move in but wants more money per month out of the replacement tenant the LL is not being fair, if the LL originally allowed a cat and the replacement tenant has one and has no problem paying the same pet related fees as the tenant they are replacing there should not be a problem but if the LL raised those pet fees for the replacement tenant the LL is not being fair ( same with any other aspect of the lease , so in your case since your LL is the one who went short term rental instead of one tenant who will stay put and finish out the number of days left on your original lease then that LL is not being fair and If It was me I would encourage them to try to convince a court why they should be rewarded for this choice instead of a regular tenant, and I think Id have no problem asking them how foolish they want to look for trying)

renterx2

Update

Update on this case:

Took the LL to Small Claims Court. Had the sheriff's department serve the papers. Landlord did not show up to the trial. I told my story and the judge awarded me the full security deposit amount (but no damages).

A week later, I receive notice that the landlord has requested to vacate the judgment on the basis that she claims she was never served (the process server served her roommate and then sent a copy via first-class mail afterwards and I have the proof of this "substituted service").

Can someone explain what is likely to happen when we return to court next week? If I provide the proof of service form, is the judge likely to hear the case again or is it more likely that he will just deny her request to cancel the judgment since she was appropriately served according to the law?

I feel like the LL is just messing with me because she can (she is a non-practicing attorney) and is trying to drag this out as long as possible. Even if the judge denies her request, I get the feeling it will be like pulling teeth to get her to actually pay me.

Any advice appreciated!
Thanks!

LdiJ

Update on this case:

Took the LL to Small Claims Court. Had the sheriff's department serve the papers. Landlord did not show up to the trial. I told my story and the judge awarded me the full security deposit amount (but no damages).

A week later, I receive notice that the landlord has requested to vacate the judgment on the basis that she claims she was never served (the process server served her roommate and then sent a copy via first-class mail afterwards and I have the proof of this "substituted service").

Can someone explain what is likely to happen when we return to court next week? If I provide the proof of service form, is the judge likely to hear the case again or is it more likely that he will just deny her request to cancel the judgment since she was appropriately served according to the law?

I feel like the LL is just messing with me because she can (she is a non-practicing attorney) and is trying to drag this out as long as possible. Even if the judge denies her request, I get the feeling it will be like pulling teeth to get her to actually pay me.

Any advice appreciated!
Thanks!
Once you prove service, that should be the end of it. However, even if the judge decides to re-hear the evidence, its unlikely that a different decision would be made.

renterx2

UPDATE: Denial of motion to vacate

Just as a (hopefully) final update to this thread.

Went to court yesterday to challenge the motion to vacate. The LL showed up this time and argued that she was out of the country when the service occurred and that her roommate (to whom papers were served) "must have thrown the papers into a pile and never told her about them." When the judge queried what happened to the additional mailed copy, same story. All her mail got "thrown in a pile" that she apparently didn't bother to look at for six weeks between the date of service and the original hearing.

Despite the preposterousness of this story, the judge actually seemed like he might be willing to grant the motion, but before he made his decision, he asked if I had any questions for her. I said I'd be interested in seeing the actual dates of travel to know when and for how long she was out of the country. She had brought photocopies of the travel itinerary from the airline website, so I looked at it, and was surprised to see that it showed that she got back to the US two days before the substituted service occurred. So she then had to backtrack on her story that she was out of the country during service, and the judge did not take kindly to her fudging of the facts, so he denied the motion.

The judge made it clear before we left that, at this point, all she can do is appeal the denial of the motion to vacate. Until she can prove she had a good reason to miss the original court date, she can't challenge the judgment itself.

I still think she may try again for an appeal of the denial just because has nothing to lose at this point, but she got pretty shamed by the judge, so I'm hoping she chooses not to voluntarily put herself through that again!

renterx2

Landlord appealed

As I expected, she has appealed the denial of the motion to vacate.

Let's assume the appellate court judge decides to grant the motion to vacate and hear the case.

If the judgment still comes down in my favor, does she then have the opportunity to appeal the judgment rather than the denial?

This will now be the third time I've had to take time off work and if the judge hears the case and she then has the opportunity to appeal the judgment, it will be four times... At what point can I argue that this is all just a delay tactic and she needs to reimburse me for my lost wages?

FarmerJ

in court just ask , offer/ ask the judge if this is the final and there wont be any more chances for her to appeal anything ? tell him its just because you don't know and you cant help but wonder when it ends for good ?

quincy

Although it probably would have helped if renterx2 had continued his legal matter in this thread instead of starting a new one, for those who wish to respond on the "appeal to deny the motion to vacate," here is a link to renterx2's new Small Claims thread:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/small-claims-courts-24/appeal-denial-motion-vacate-614400.html

Here, too, is a link to the California Code sections that apply - specifically 116.730 (e) and 116.730 (f) and 116.780:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=ccp&group=00001-01000&file=116.710-116.798

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">