• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

broke lease by tenant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tlp0802

I am a new landlord and my first tenant broke their lease what can I do to collect the rent that is due until I can get the property leased again we are in Texas

[Edited by tlp0802 on 01-14-2001 at 01:54 PM]

D

djdj

well you have the security, that should cover one month, and you can always sue in small claims court for the rent lost advertising damages etc,over and above the deposit

BUT you have a duty to re-rent asap. You cannot sit on your butt for 3 months then claim he owes 3 months rent...

OR you cannot advertise the apartment for say $100 a month more then say to a judge, no one rented it at that price, the judge wont force a tenant to pay you for the months it was empty.

PS you got your security deposit at the closing....all leases and deposits get transferred at the closing, its in the sales price..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">