• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

broken promise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

r.l.dikes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? calif.
my mother told me that i could live in the main house if i watched over the property and took care of her schitzafrinic brother.
upon his death the property would be mine.
after a year and a half of doing this,she now wants me out for calling her an "alchaholic".
since the property becoming mine is a long shot now,can i sue for 24 hour care,and property managment? for that year and a half?
at the very least transitional support?

thanks in advance**************.
R.L.Dikes

adjusterjack

since the property becoming mine is a long shot now,can i sue for 24 hour care,and property managment? for that year and a half?
Anybody can sue anybody for anything. You just aren't likely to win. No contract.

r.l.dikes

thanks for reply but......

Anybody can sue anybody for anything. You just aren't likely to win. No contract.
verbal contract just as binding. 1 1/2 years of service has to account for somthing. i cant make a promise to you,use you then dismiss you , without compensation for your time and effort. unless your an elegal alien that is.

justalayman

what verbal contract? You were not promised payment for your help.

and real estate contracts MUST be in writing to be enforceable and since you are talking about a real estate contract, no written contract means no enforceable contract.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? calif.
my mother told me that i could live in the main house if i watched over the property and took care of her schitzafrinic brother.
after a year and a half of doing this,she now wants me out for calling her an "alchaholic".

thanks in advance**************.
R.L.Dikes
1.No.
2.No.
3.No.

ETA: You can sue for just about anything. But in your situation you will not win. Just move on and be happy. :)

Just Blue

verbal contract just as binding. 1 1/2 years of service has to account for somthing. i cant make a promise to you,use you then dismiss you , without compensation for your time and effort. unless your an elegal alien that is.
What is an "elegal alien"??:confused:

Gail in Georgia

"my mother told me that i could live in the main house if i watched over the property and took care of her schitzafrinic brother.
at the very least transitional support?"

Sure you can attempt to sue her. What proof do you have that you are qualified to do property management or home health care to show a court as part of your case?

If you do this mom is likely to turn around a sue you for a year and half worth of rent.

The judge is likely to throw the whole load of nonsense out of the court.

Look; be nice to mom, apologize for calling her an alcoholic (I'm assuming this is what you meant) and when you are back in her good graces you can bring up the issue of the property being yours when your schizophrenic brother passes away and that you and your mother should consider contacting an attorney to get some type of contract in place regarding this matter.

Gail

1 1/2 years of service DOES count for something: it counts for 1 1/2 years free rent. You already got that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">