• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bugs bugs bugs...landlord giving the run around!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

feduptenant

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

:confused::confused::confused:
Hey guys, I'm having a couple issues with a house I've been renting since October 2010.

1. Lease stated the house would be painted January 2011. It's now June 14th and the house is being primed for the paint job.

2. Handyman is the owner's COUSIN. He is an UNLICENSED UN professional man who shows up late for everything if he shows up at all. He has gotten into heated arguments SHOUTING in front of our house with other workers. We got into a heated phone discussion about the plumbing, at which point he hung up on me and reported my "manners" to the owner. :eek:

3. PLUMBING!!! This is the main concern. Since we moved into this house the second bathroom has had an infestation problem. You know when your pipes become corroded and eventually burst and fill with those worms that form out of feces? And those worms become flies? THOSE are all over my bathtub and sink and bathroom ceiling despite constant cleaning and spraying with chemicals. The plumbers ran the camera through the line and the bottom line is it's a $12,000 job. The exterminator came here and recommended the landlord to repair the pipe because she says exterminating will only temporarily handle the problem. The landlord is not planning to pay this fee. We can't continue to live with these bugs, and she doesn't seem to feel it's a priority to take care of. She doesn't get WHY we would not want to inhale Raid and other chemicals all day!!!

4. I'm dealing with very unprofessional yet highly self righteous owners, who claim they are the best landlords in this zip code. They never return phone calls on time, and if the rent is a DAY late (and we have a 5 day grace period) they're beyond grief.

What can I do????? Can we report these people to the department of health and sanitation or something like that? I'm fed up with being given the run around by these people. They don't want to work or spend a penny on the house. How can I live with these bugs knowing that it's a serious plumbing issue and not a problem that can be solved using home depot repellant?? Please help!

Thank you! :eek:

Gail in Georgia

#3 is your only legal worry. Consider contacting your local Code Inspector (this should be listed under local Government offices in your city) to discuss the plumbing issue.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">