• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

But I already paid my rent! Can they kick me out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

masbury12

What is the name of your state Colorado (only U.S. law)?

I gave my 30 day notice on 3/30 and am breaking my lease to move closer to work to save gas money. The fee for that is $300.00. At the same time that I signed that 30 day notice paperwork, I also paid my rent and utilities (2 seperate checks), which they have cashed and both have cleared. I got home today and find this "Demand for payment or possession" notice on my door. It does not state anything on the lease the move out before my lease is up fee, but it is saying that its because i have not paid rent in full. I gave them a check to cover my rent in full plus a check to pay my utilities in full. It does not state anything in my lease that when you give a notice that you have to pay this fee along with your rent. The notice says I need to pay $325.00 in 3 days or I'm out of here. Can they do this?

FarmerJ

If your lease doesnt say the early termination fee is due with the notice that is given then if it was me Id take my chances and make them take me to court. BUT to go that route you must have a copy of the lease in hand and be damn sure your correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">