• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

buying a home with tenants already occupying units in the home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

traceurv

Question regarding law in Massachusetts:

My husband and I are in the beginning stages of purchasing a two family home in which we will occupy one of the units and rent out the other unit. Both units of the home are currently occupied by tenants under agreement with the current owner of the home. My husband and I want the home vacated before we sign and close on the home, since we plan on living in one of the units and finding our own tenant for the other unit. What happens in a situation like this? Can the current tenants be evicted simply because the home is being sold to new owners? What needs to be done in order to get the current tenants out? Please help!

FarmerJ

If the current tenants Do not have written leases for say 6 months to a year then they would be month to month tenants , Ask to see copys of the leases , If they are month to month tenants tell the seller of the property they will have to evict them and set up closing for After the Units are vacant , If those tenants have leases that cannot be terminated early , look for another property but make sure it is understood in writing you will not close until the units are empty . Perhaps the seller will have to offer them a reasonable amount of money to agree to cancel there leases and move . Or seller will just have to live with selling to a non resident investor .

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

traceurv said:
Question regarding law in Massachusetts:

Can the current tenants be evicted simply because the home is being sold to new owners? What needs to be done in order to get the current tenants out? Please help!
My response:

No. The tenants are entitled to the full benefits of their lease. It's unfortunate that you're buying a house that has tenants, but their lease contract is not subordinated all because you want to buy the property. If you buy, you take the tenants and their contract with your purchase until the lease expires.

Now, you can also buy them out of their lease IF they are willing to accept a buyout, that may also include moving expenses and all other fees associated with finding new housing. Otherwise, you need to wait for the lease to expire.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">