• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA Land lord entering with out notice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Darmentle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Hi we live in northern CA and rent a town house we have been here for over 2 years. And just recently started having issue with our land lord. Today i was at work and my wife was at home sleeping and around 7:00 Am she heard to voice down stairs in our kitchen so she ran down stairs. And seen the land lord standing in the kitchen talking to some other guy she explained that he was an inspector and they need to look at our electrical box in our garage . They are remodeling the unit 3 doors down from us so i think they wanted to see our electrical box to compare something. But no phone call no letter no heads up she just came in with out any kind of notice is this ok ?

Darmentle

No emergency what so ever. do i have any options on handling this situation. Normally i would let it go but two months ago she called us harassing my wife and i saying we are yelling obscenities at the people in the unit next to us threw the walls. i was really upset and told her it wasn't us and we have a 10 year old in the house that is not something we would do and we where really offended. The next day she called back saying she though we were the people doing the yelling but she found out it was the unit 2 doors down from us. And today was the finale straw when she entered with no permission.

CdwJava

What do you WANT done?

The entry may not have been lawful, but the question is what remedy do you seek? The police aren't going to arrest her for trespassing, and you don't appear to have any damages so a lawsuit is not likely be cost effective. You can sue in small claims court and if you have provided proper notice it appears you can collect UP TO (or much less) $2,000.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/living-in.shtml

Here is the highlighted portion:

If your landlord violates these access rules, talk to the landlord about your concerns. If that is not successful in stopping the landlord's misconduct, send the landlord a formal letter asking the landlord to strictly observe the access rules stated above. If the landlord continues to violate these rules, you can talk to an attorney or a legal aid organization, or file suit in small claims court to recover damages that you have suffered due to the landlord's misconduct. If the landlord's violation of these rules was significant and intentional, and the landlord's purpose was to influence you to move from the rental unit, you can sue the landlord in small claims court for a civil penalty of up to $2,000 for each violation

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">