• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA : Landlord refused my move out inspection, help please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ardy6931

What is the name of your state (CA)?

What is the name of your state (CA)?

I just moved out of my previous home. Cleaned and repaired the home very well but I am afraid my landlords intend to keep my rent.

First off they are the most frugal/cheap *******s on the planet, from the day I met them I knew there was a good chance they would try to not pay back the deposit.

My lease expired today and this morning I met with them to do the pre move out inspection, they refused.

I had my attorney present as I always do as he is on staff and they were very angry because of this to the point that the husband, wife, and daughter were all screaming at myself, my lawyer, and my room mate. They threatened to call the police if my lawyer did not leave the property. They were screaming at the top of their lungs and almost threatening.

They refused to do the walk through and checklist to inspect with me anything they think needs fixing so we could remedy it. I took photo and video of the entire place prior to giving them the keys in case they try to add anything to the repairs.

They failed to grant me an inspection of any kind, or the notice of inspection, basically these are two very old foreigners with no concept of democratic law and procedure.

I hate being taken advantage of, they are only holding 11000$ but knowing them they will milk every dime and the house is in as good shape as any. We took time to fill all holes and patch any bad paint areas.

What are my options? Are they legally allowed to refuse the inspection? Arent they required to give me a notice of inspection?

CA LL

Ummm...you had a lawyer with you LOL. One would think *but most of us know better* that that "lawyer" would know what the law in CA requires. Only an offer of a PRE moveout inspection and then the tenant must schedule it according to the offer and law requirements. THIS IS NOT A FINAL MOVEOUT AFTER YOU HAVE VACATED. In CA, the LL is under NO obligation to do a FINAL POST MOVEOUT with the tenant. If they offered the PMI when you gave notice and you did not schedule it BEFORE you moved out then you are out of luck which your ATTORNEY should know. Your lease expired today...that means it is the final inspection..there is NO TIME to remedy as the PMI offer/inspection is to occur during the last two weeks of the tenancy to give the tenant opportunity to remedy any defects found. Having an attorney there is ridiculous..for a PMI OR any sort of walk-thru. Again in CA a LL is NOT obligated to do a POST moveout inspection with a tenant/their represenative. WHY would you take an attorney? Did you do some serious damages or what? I ask only because a completed/signed move in checklist and pictures plus pics of same things at moveout should be plenty of evidence. Even if a discrepency is there, it is typically handled in SMALL CLAIMS court...no attorneys. I am not sure what your motive was but it smells a bit off. Perhaps you should review CA CIVIL CODE 1950.5 and see whether you and/or your LL and especially that "lawyer" of your's followed or broke the provisions contained therein.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">