• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA Unlawful Detainer - what to expect in court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NoviceLandlord

California.

I am going to court in about a week for my first unlawful detainer, and I did hire an attorney, btw. We have discussed the facts of the case, but I neglected to ask him what to expect as far as procedures in court. From what little my attorney has said about court, it sounds like it's not going to take too long. I was wondering, since my tenant is representing himself according to the answer he filed, will he be allowed to ask questions of me and my witnesses? Just curious.

It's for non-payment of rent, but this person is claiming he offered to pay before the 3 day pay or quit expired and we refused to accept the money - this is absolutely untrue. He offered to pay the rent owed only if we tore up the 30 day notice to end the month to month tenancy. We refused and he left without paying.

Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state?

JETX

NoviceLandlord said:
since my tenant is representing himself according to the answer he filed, will he be allowed to ask questions of me and my witnesses?
Yep.

It's for non-payment of rent, but this person is claiming he offered to pay before the 3 day pay or quit expired and we refused to accept the money - this is absolutely untrue. He offered to pay the rent owed only if we tore up the 30 day notice to end the month to month tenancy. We refused and he left without paying.
So, present that in court.

heididun

I'm not sure that it would matter if you accepted his money or not. He broke the lease when his payment was late. Even if this does matter, he is going to have a hard time proving it in court. Remember, the burden of proof is on him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">