• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California: Illegal tenant subletting - elder abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

megansheart

My parents are an elderly couple in their 90's who own a duplex rental property in Los Angeles which is their primary source of income. One of their tenants (who is also a landlord) has been renting the duplex for 10 years. He pays half the going rate because it's under rent control. Three years ago he appealed to rent stablization laws to force my parents to accept "an additional tenant" with the worst credit history imagineable. He then moved to San Diego, claiming he does business there as well as in Los Angeles. Each month he sends my parents a check with the LA address but the envelope is postmarked San Diego. And though each check has the LA address they are in sequential order, so he only uses this check book for the monthly rent payment. I once had to gain access to the apartment for an emergency repair and noticed all the mail is addressed to the additional tenant and only one bedroom is used. What can we do? This fellow is taking advantage of elderly people!

Hot Topic

Entering an apartment to make an emergency repair is legal. Using the repair as an opportunity to snoop through the tenant's mail is not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">