• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I break a Lease? ROACHES!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RenterInPhila20

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I moved into a new apartment at the end of July, so far I have been bombed (fogging device) and extirminated twice, but I am still having a major water bug roach problem. I gave written notice to the management company dating all of the incidents and how I have been extirminated 3 times and nothing is working.

There are some openings in the cabinets where it seems pipes used to be and I recommended they fill all holes, move all appliances in the kitchen (seems to be main source of problem) and then extirminate again.

If I still have a problem I said I would like to be moved to another unit (at their expense) or be able to break the lease. I would MUCH RATHER break the lease.

Is this possible?

Someone posted that we, as apartment renters, are just expected to live with roaches, as long as they are trying to correct the problem by extirminating. Due to health reasons, I find that hard to believe because extirminating is NOT WORKING.

Can that possibly be true?

Do you think I will be able to break my lease?

Please help!

So far, I have written a letter to the management company dating my 3 extirminations by their company and I said I would like them to move all kitchen appliances and check for holes in wall and roach nests. If all openings in wall are not fixed and if this final extirmination does not work can I break my lease without penalty?

Please advise, I appreciate it!

BL

RenterInPhila20 said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I moved into a new apartment at the end of July, so far I have been bombed (fogging device) and exterminated twice, but I am still having a major water bug roach problem. I gave written notice to the management company dating all of the incidents and how I have been extirminated 3 times and nothing is working.

There are some openings in the cabinets where it seems pipes used to be and I recommended they fill all holes, move all appliances in the kitchen (seems to be main source of problem) and then extirminate again.

If I still have a problem I said I would like to be moved to another unit (at their expense) or be able to break the lease. I would MUCH RATHER break the lease.

Is this possible?

Someone posted that we, as apartment renters, are just expected to live with roaches, as long as they are trying to correct the problem by extirminating. Due to health reasons, I find that hard to believe because extirminating is NOT WORKING.

Can that possibly be true?

Do you think I will be able to break my lease?

Please help!

So far, I have written a letter to the management company dating my 3 extirminations by their company and I said I would like them to move all kitchen appliances and check for holes in wall and roach nests. If all openings in wall are not fixed and if this final extirmination does not work can I break my lease without penalty?

Please advise, I appreciate it!
Quit trying to exterminate yourself .

One more demand letter to management that they exterminate , by Certified return receipt requested letter . Keep all proofs .

If they refuse call your local Property code enforcement Office to make a complaint , and have them come out to inspect .
They should write up the Order and make the LL exterminate . Obtain a Copy when Filed.

Sometimes it takes Professional Services . Give them time ( a Couple mon
ths is not out of line ).

No you can not get out of your lease at this time , and NO you can't force a move .

You need t

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">